• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Photos and plans for a bunny mansion!

Dad said I'm aloud to convert his almost finished nursery into a bunny run. And put a cat flap in the door so he can go in and out. I'm planing to still put shelves in there so I can grow herbs and vegies for him to eat.

This is his set up now, showing the door and half finished nursery.

DSCN2190.jpg

The nursery's frame is made out of (unfortunately) treated pine. I would have to put wire around it anyways but I may also get the same in untreated timber and put it on the lower half to make sure the bunny can't get to the treated bits and then wire over the top.

Showing the frame...

DSCN2195.jpg

DSCN2192.jpg

Some shots showing the nursery.

DSCN2193.jpg

DSCN2194.jpg

I also want to put another cat flap leading from the nursery/run to an outside hutch so then I have the option of also completely locking him in or out. But I can't decide what shape/size would suit the area. I was thinking of extending one side of the nursery and puting an enclosed part to be their hutch or I could still put shade cloth and wire on the sides and do a catflap to a seperate hutch off to the side of the run/nursery.

Here are some photos showing the area etc around the run/nursery...

DSCN2197.jpg

DSCN2200.jpg

DSCN2198.jpg

SO which side of the run/nursery and what type of hutch and where should I put it?

Or should I just totally ditch that idea and get a seperate hutch and run and put it in my backyard?

To help you decide here's some pictures of my typicall australian backyard...

DSCN2201.jpg

DSCN2202.jpg

Amongst the willows? (BTW: Are these the smae willows you get the twigs off??!!)
DSCN2204.jpg

DSCN2203.jpg

Maybe on the island??? Aparently foxes won't go there thats why its there, for birds who nest in grass, aren't we such an animal family?
DSCN2210.jpg

When I grow up and move out (I'm 14) I hope to live on land I don't think I could ever go back to the suberbs and run a bunny rescue. Where they can have as much space as they deserve.

I think what you are doing looks great. I don't really know what to suggest but I suppose what is imortant is that the bunnies have some where that serves as a 'bolt hole' where they can hide, some sort of box which is dark with a small entrance and a lid you can open for cleaning. Some shaded area too. Make sure they can't dig there way out of any attached run too.

You have a great back yard.

Rabswood

Thats why I'm so keen on using the nursery because it already has a cement slab down. I've found a timber company that say they can make whatever you want and their prices are reasonable so I might send in a design and get a quote. I have to look on uk sites just to get ideas, thats how much timber we use :shock: and there are no dog kennel/runs over here on ebay, how wierd? :?

Back