PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Bunny at Ebony Eyes

LonBun
28-04-2006, 03:14 AM
Jay and John have taken on the their most exotic bun yet, Rufus was born in Beijing. He is called Rufus seems to be partially paralysed.

http://www.ebonyeyes.co.uk/aspbite/categories/index.asp?intCatID=370

Adam

bunnymyhoney57
28-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Just seen the picture- he looks so like my Bertha !!!!!!
I.m sure he has fallen on his feet-so to say- at Ebony Eyes he will be waited on hand and 2 feet ! that is to say 4 feet if jay and john are helping together???/
How did he get over here- by plane ? I presume and how did the flight affect him do we know? I would be interested in learning more if possible?
I wonder how he was picked out from all the unfortunate ones at the 'meat market'?
How could you pick just one- waht a brave lady to bring him over here?

bunnymyhoney57
28-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Just seen the picture- he looks so like my Bertha !!!!!!
I.m sure he has fallen on his feet-so to say- at Ebony Eyes he will be waited on hand and 2 feet ! that is to say 4 feet if jay and john are helping together???/
How did he get over here- by plane ? I presume and how did the flight affect him do we know? I would be interested in learning more if possible?
I wonder how he was picked out from all the unfortunate ones at the 'meat market'?
How could you pick just one- waht a brave lady to bring him over here?

Spacegirl
28-04-2006, 03:39 AM
You can say that again! :wink:

bunnyhuggger
28-04-2006, 03:50 AM
:lol:

I love this photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bunnyhuggger/rufus-p2090726-2.jpg

He's so very handsome and has such wonderful ears! He'll come in really handy with the BIB's, they're always looking for translators too :wink:

Bunnyboarding
28-04-2006, 03:52 AM
Thank god for kind people....its a living hell over there for animals in those markets/make-shift slaughterhouses.

He has got to be one of the luckiest rabbits from there.

I wonder if his slipped discs were due to the manhandling at the meat market as they are handled purely as commodities & slung around as if they were already 'gone'.

Well done to Jay & John :D

Azraelm
28-04-2006, 03:58 AM
Theres more about this bunny here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=18637

Bunnyboarding
28-04-2006, 04:02 AM
BTW just a general note to anyone with cats.....please don't buy the 'furry type cat mouse toys, etc, as i have noticed there are an abundance of rabbit fur cat toys on the market over here, all 'made in China'.

If you buy these toys you are encouraging the widespread slaughter & ill-treatment of rabbits like Rufus to make cat toys, amongst other things. These rabbits are skinned alive.

I find that Mayfield (Batleys own brand) are the main ones selling these mass-produced real fur 'toys'. I know that because i run a cattery which has on occasion been supplied by Batleys, although we would never buy these toys. I am boycotting them as a supplier until it stops.

(sorry if that upsets anyone)

LonBun
28-04-2006, 06:07 PM
It woulld appear that the fake fur market has collapsed. Rabbit fur from China is far cheaper. Labelling regulations on these products are either inadequate or being ignored.

Adam

Jaypot
28-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Rufus is doing really well - will post piccies later :D
He has a BIB name now - wait for it ............................

Agent Chopsticks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jettychops
28-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Very cool Agent name Rufus 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

luvabun
28-04-2006, 08:47 PM
:D Welcome Agent Chopsticks :!:

He must be a very much loved bun as quarantine for 6 months is not cheap. Happy ending :D

anna
28-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Hello Rufus, you are a very lucky bunny!

Adele
28-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Aaaawwwwww Rufus is gorgeous :love: What a lovely bunny tale, and we are so pleased to hear he has settled in so well at Ebony Eyes :D
Please give Rufus a snuggle from us.
Love Adele XX

sarsimp
28-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Agent Chopsticks - you are gorgeous :D and a very lucky bun to have found two lovely homes after you ordealxx

LonBun
28-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Jay,

Thats great, you are so good with these spinal injury buns (in fact any bun with any problem). Of course BIB will have a real martial arts bun when he's better!

Do you know more about the job of getting him over here and the quarantine? You have had an American Bunny. We need an Asian and an African bunny now.

He has a lovely long face; no teeth problems there I hope. :D Is it warm enough for Chubby to go outside yet?

Adam

loopylop
29-04-2006, 01:14 AM
:lol:

I love this photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bunnyhuggger/rufus-p2090726-2.jpg

He's so very handsome and has such wonderful ears! He'll come in really handy with the BIB's, they're always looking for translators too :wink:

:love: :love: :love:

Well done yet again Jay and John, this bun is incredibly lucky, he is gorgeous... Hope he is really happy at Ebony eyes :D

sparklefairy
29-04-2006, 01:41 AM
:love: :love: :love: he's gorgeous! well done for getting this lucky bunster! :D

Inimical Me
29-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Oooh he's lovely! What fantastic ears! Lucky bun :).

Scoot
30-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Just to let you all know my Brother Rufus has settled in fine here :D and here he is 8)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/scoot100/rufus27April06030.jpg

their is also a video of Rufus on our website 8) and here is the link :D

http://tinyurl.com/pzenq

Jack's-Jane
30-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Oh my I am crying buckets at the bravery of Rufus. He is a stunning rabbit and thankfully has found the best place in the world for a disabled bunny to live.
Well done Scoot for guiding Rufus to Ebony Eyes :D :D

Janex

**Bonnie**
30-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Thank god for Ebony Eyes he is lovely!!!

sarsimp
30-04-2006, 11:31 PM
What a gorgeous bun Agent Chopsticks is - with those ears, he could be in charge of radar :D He is a very lucky bun - well done Scoot for bringing him homexx

Inimical Me
01-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Awww, the video! He's so gorgeous, his ears are amazing!

bunny_burrows
01-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Aww, what a beautiful boy! :love:

LonBun
01-05-2006, 05:26 AM
Lets not forget the person who brough him out of China! Its a team effort. :lol:

Adam

Scoot
01-05-2006, 08:52 AM
:wave: Uncle Adam :D
we are just waiting for Rufus's mum (Auntie Lou) to send his history to us and then we can add it to our website :wink: :D It should be very intresting to say the least :shock: and Auntie Lou could give a few other 2foots ideas about trying to get their bunnies home :wink: :D

beck
01-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Rufus is lovely!
What a lucky bunny to be with the hairy mob :D

AlisonA
01-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Agents Harry and Santa send a special BIB salute to Agent Chopsticks and his magnificent ears. What a lucky bunny he is!

louisa
03-05-2006, 05:22 AM
Hello everyone

I'm glad you all think our precious Rufus is so lovely - we certainly do! As you can tell from his history, he is a very very loved bunny indeed (just like so many other buns on this forum).

It has been a heart-breaking 6 weeks because we had only had him out of quarantine for 8 weeks before he lost the use of his back legs. He passed all his health checks in quarentine with flying colours so it has been particularly hard that we had him for such a short time after all our efforts and hopes for his future in the UK.

Rufus was bought from a street trader in Beijing by my sister, who was teaching English there for a year. It is quite common for small animals to be sold on street corners there in quite a 'throw away' fashion.

Actually, she bought two buns but one sadly died on the first day. I met Rufus first when I too went over to China to do some teaching there, and I realised what a lovely bunny he is. When the time came for my sister to leave it proved impossible to find someone who could be trusted to give Rufus the home that he deserves, so we decided to bite the bullet and bring him home via quarantine. He came back on a British Airways flight from Beijing to Heathrow. No other airline flying into London would take him. He then went into a quarantine centre in East London for six months, where we were able to visit him about once a week.

We are not rich, though we might be mad! We just love Rufus very much indeed and I, in particular, am really grateful to him for all he has taught me, especially in the last few weeks. He has always dealt with all the obstacles we have placed in his way in the most patient fashion and has adapted very well to the different environments he has found himself in. He never complained once when he lost the use of his back legs and I was having to clean him up in the most undignified places several times a day.

Throughout his short life (he is 14 months now), Rufus's strong personality has shone through and his life seems to have a dynamic of its own, which is outside our control. Who would have thought it was Rufus, out of all the poor bunnies in China, who would be chosen to come and live here? And, of course, we had no idea that we would only have him for such a short time before the home that we could provide was no longer appropriate for his needs. Although it is hard to let him go, it is a privilege to share Rufus with John and Jay, whose love for poorly buns is truly amazing. In some ways, too, although Rufus has been at Ebonyeyes less than a week, it feels as if we are sharing him with a much wider group of people via the website and RU. My hope is that somehow the plight of bunnies and other small furries in China will, in some small way, receive more attention as a result of Rufus's story.

**Bonnie**
03-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Hi Louisa,

I have so much admiration for you to give Rufas the best life in such horrible circumstances. Sounds like poor bunnies in beijing so not have a very nice life.

Rufas sounds a remarkable bunny and has been extremely lucky - you should feel so proud of yourself for doing the best thing for Rufas.

he will have such an amazing time at Ebony Eyes with Jay and John....looking forward to seeing more piccies of him!

Bonnie xx