• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Simba has a wet nose

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
I went in to the fuzzies yesterday and noticed simba's nose and round his mouth was all wet... I assumed he must have dipped his face in the water bowl when drinking so just went to wipe it dry and he began sneezing and couldnt stop... he then went and hid up. I checked on him later and he seemed ok altho was making a funny almost wheezy noise when breathing but no discharge or anything. Checked him again today and altho his nose still seems to be a bit wet (nothing on his paws) he wasnt sneezing. I turned him on his back to look up his nose in case he'd inhaled something and after a few looks suddenly a hard lump of white 'snot' came out of one nostril :shock: Could he just have got something up his nose?? Should i just see how he is in a few days and hope that the lump was caused by something he sniffed up his nose or should he get checked out urgently by vets? My prob is im at my parents, going back to mine sat eve so cant get him to his usual vets before then.
Do you think i could just keep an eye on him as long as he doesnt get any worse?

It sounds like he might have Snuffles to me, the normal signs are a wet nose, sneezing and wheezy noises. You would need to go and see your vet and they should describe you some Baytril to use on Simba :)

Good luck xx

I wouldn't hold off consulting a Vet ASAP.
The fact that thick white snot (SORRY :oops: ) was produced indicates infection and it is important to catch it early before it tracks down to the lungs.
Bunnies stay apparently 'well' and eating etc in the early stages of respiratory tract infections but left untreated the infection can become serious.

Janex

take him asap - snuffles can be fatal if left, bunnies go down hill quickly. Even if its not ur normal vet at least u can get the right medication into him asap......

hope all goes well keep us informed

good luck
alpha x

Yes I agree, it sounds like classic snuffles symptoms. As Jane said, the earlier it is caught the better as it causes minute abscesses in the respiratory tract (which is why it's very hard to totally get rid of) and it's far easier to deal with if they are just in the nasal passage and not in the lungs. My snuffly bun acts absolutely normally and my vet said they don't often feel/act 'unwell' but it's still important to get them on antibiotics asap.

You may well find that a non-particularly rabbit savvy vet where you are will prescribe baytril, don't panic, that's fairly normal and if it's early, will quite probably clear it ok. Some people say that baytril is no use for snuffles but I've found it ok - if it doesn't seem to clear, you can always ask your vet when you get home to try a different antibiotic. Septrin is a common choice, mine is currently on doxycycline which is working brilliantly.

Big kisses to Simba, hope her nose gets better soon.

He seems to be fine altho his nose is still a bit damp to touch its not as wet as it was last night. I havent heard any sneezing at all today and after the hard lump of white snot there has been no other discharge. If he had an infection wouldnt the snot be yellow or green rather than white? I am going to struggle to get him to the vets til after the weekend really as im working tomorrow and saturday then driving back to mine sat eve but if thats what he needs then i'll try my best to get him checked out. I really hope he doesnt have snuffles :(

Hmmmmm if it's a one off clump of discharge, and one of sneezing..to me personally I think it's more likely to be something got up his nose tbh.
Keep an eye on him...but the fact there's been no more discharge or sneezing I think is an excellent sign :)

Dont panic if he does have snuffles as my charlie had it and I caught it early, got him on Baytril and he was fine after so we was lucky :)

Diddeen said:
If he had an infection wouldnt the snot be yellow or green rather than white?
Nope, snuffles snot is usually bright white in the early stages! These big gooey bits of snot do seem to come and go rather than be constantly runny, apparently it's because the bacteria forms into little abscess capsules and it's when they burst that you get a monster snot. Keep an eye on his front feet as they often wipe their nose on the inside of their front paws, so you may be able to see from them whether his nose is clearing up, or whether he is just wiping the snot away before you see it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Ive checked him again this evening and his nose seems to be alot drier altho still a bit damp. His paws are both clean and dry tho. I have now removed the bowl of water and just left a bottle up in case that is causing the wetness.. then at least i can be sure. Still no sneezing.. and certainly no loss of appetite! :wink: i'll see how he is in the morning.

Im just home and checked his nose again.. feels dry now and he is still his usual self. I didnt make an appointment to see a local vet seeing as his nose was dry i figured it might be pointless so i'll see how he is in a few days and if it reoccurs i'll be straight over to my own vet.
Thanks for all the advice.. i'll let you know if anything changes.

Back