• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size of Run& Shading in a run......

pepsi

Alpha Buck
Hi All, :D
Please can you help, At the moment we are currently building a run for my bunny..............We've only got as far as varnishing the wood, but will be doing the rest tonight (Or should i stay making a start tonight...dont think hubby will finish it :roll: )
Please can anyone tell me, what size do you think a run should be for a bunny, at the moment i have only one bun, but would like to build it big enough for 2 as im hoping to get another bun shortly.....it will be a permenant run which will be Fox Proof, very strong and they will have the hutch inside.......any ideas what dimensions should be? I think it will probably be about 2.4 metres square, would that be ok? Hubby wanted to do 2.4metres x 1.2metres. I said thats to small...am i right :?
Also How do you guys make sure your run has enough shade from the sun...or shelter from the rain. Im not sure what to use, i thought about covering some of the run with a plastic sheet, but will this attract the sun?? Im not sure......All ideas and help will be appreciated
Lou xxxxx

I'm unsure about the size but I think tarpaulin would be good instead of plastic.
Plastic would probably make it too hot for the bun(s) on a warm day :)

oh my brain hurts - that's 8 foot square is it? If the hutch is 2 foot deep (60cm) then they will effectively have a 6 foot run on the front of their hutch. 2 rabbits would need a 2x8 hutch really, if it's just single level.

The other thing is - if it's on grass it won't be fox proof, or bunny proof! If it's on pavers, then make it as big as possible. Rabbits like to run and my patio is JUST big enough for them to get up some speed - it's 13 foot by 5 foot....about 4 metres by...150cm - If the hutch is along the long side of the run they'll have enough length to run.

It needs to be at least 2 foot (60cm) high as well, preferably 75cm.

You can peg a bedsheet over the top for shade, and remove that and put a tarpaulin over the top when it's wet - needs to be strong enough to support the weight of tarpaulin and bricks though.

well it depends if your runs will get the free range of the garden ever. If your garden isn't bunny proof then i would go for a run as big as you can make it!

If they get free range of the garden you can make it smaller.

Mine are free range in the morning and evening and the rest of the time they are in their run asleep!

I only know feet not squared but i think 2.4 meter square sounds too small.

Also go for 2.5-3 foot high too!

Right just got a tape measure and 2.4 metres is about 8ft. So it will be 8ft by 8ft, it will be high enough so that she can sit on top of her hutch, then stand up and have a nose....as she loves to do that at the moment. Yes it will be on concrete.....my hole garden is concrete except 2 flower beds. I will let her out to have full run, but prob only at weekends, so i can supervise her as the other day she figured out that she can actually get over the fence/barrier....which blocks of the main section of the garden where she could get out.
Do you think its to small 8ft x8ft? It wont make any difference where i put the hutch because it will be square.
Does that mean i can tell my hubby that you all agree with me and it should be 8ft x 8 ft NOT 8 ft x 4 ft???? :wink:
A bed sheet is a good idea, i didnt think of that.

pepsi said:
Does that mean i can tell my hubby that you all agree with me and it should be 8ft x 8 ft NOT 8 ft x 4 ft???? :wink:

Yep :lol: I think the more space you can give them, the better. 8*8 gives plenty of room for them to run, stretch, and for you to add 'toys' like boxes and tubes without filling up the space.

I have tarpaulin over the top of mine, a proper good quality piece, it's clear plastic as it still lets plenty of light through, and it has those bungee cords so I can easily roll it back if it's a nice day and keep it over if it looks like rain.

Alfie kennedy said:
8 foot by 8 foot is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Im glad you said that, When you said it was to small,i was thinking oh my god How big has it go to be....hubby wont be impressed, i've had to fight to get it 8x8 :lol:
Mmmmm yes about toys..........ive just been on bunny basics...say no more!
The tarpalling sounds good, where do you get it with bungee cords?????

Bargain.... :D
Thank you for the links. :lol: :lol: Yep, poor bunnies will think the world is very green :lol:
Is the tarpaulin ok to use as shade in the sun, or will it attract the heat like plastic would.

Thats a good idea.....thanks
Started building it yesterday, how exciting!!! We was thinking about making a little section in the run with grass....using wood to build it up so its about 3-4" above the concrete...then puting compost on top of the soil and a turf (Does that make sense?) Would that work...or would it be to shallow for the grass to form roots and grow? :) Also would the drainage not be any good as its just on concrete?

I'm sure they'd enjoy digging it anyway - they will eat a small area of grass to the ground in a day :shock:

I desperately need to get a new run, mine's far to small. The weird thing is the RSPCA said that I could divide it into two when bonding. I don't agree :eek: It was from P@H approx 4ft long and 2ft in height :(

Thats only 2ft x 2ft....... :oops: i think you may of worked that out yourself :oops: thats tiny.....Have you not got anyone who could make a run for you so far ours has cost £67 but now realised we need more wood and more wire mesh. So it will be more like £80-£90 but that is 8ft x 8ft so still cheaper than buying, if you done one 6ft x 4ft or something it wouldnt work out that much.

Back