• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what age should i seperate kits from mum

bbear690

New Kit
hi my rabbit has 4 kits which are nearly 8 weeks old, When should i seperate them?
i have another hutch to seperate the boys and girls but not sure if they are still feeding off mum
i am keeping them for another few weeks as my neighbour is having one but needs to sort her fench out first and i am taking one to my sister in the next few week
i will be keeping the other two as i have plenty of room and the are so gorgeaus!
should i just leave them all together, they seem so cosy cuddled up together i don't want to seperate them yet if i don't have too!

I might be totally wrong on this but I would suggest seperating the boys but maybe leave the girls with mum for the time being. I left mine all together but then the two kits were both girls.

They shouldn' be feeding from mum anymore so thats not a problem.

Hope someone else can help on this

I'd leave the smallest one or two with mum for a couple more days so she doesn't get mastitis and seperate the rest and mum will be drying up now.

I would say the kits can leave mum now and you do not need to seperate the the boys from the girls for at least another 2 weeks. As rabbits are so sociable they will be better left in a group. You probably already know it is better to take mum from the hutch rather than move the babies. It is less trauma to lose mum than to lose mum and go to a new hutch at the same time. If you are moving the babies to a bigger hutch then perhaps move mum with them and in a couple or so days take mum back out.

Louisa

Back