• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gizmo neutered today need advice.

vickialthorpe

Young Bun
Gizmo has been neutered today and I've just brought him home. He is very quiet laying on a blanket in his cage. The vet said he'd been syringe fed & had a nibble on some dandelions. He's had painkillers & antibiotics. I've just given him some dandelions but he doesn't seem at all bothered with them. Can anyone suggest anything to help my poor little guy? He goes back to the vet on Saturday for a post-op check.

Thanks

Just keep your eye on him for a few hours he's bound to feel rough. Keep him indoors somewhere quite where he can recover in peace. Try tempting him in a while with some of his favourite foods. My boys like a small amount of organic oats in warm water or dried fruit. As soon as you see wee and droppings he should be fine.

Keep us posted on his progress.

Rabswood

he's probably just groggy from the anaesthetic still - I expect he'll wake up properly around 2am if you can stay up and hand feed him then? Hope he's well soon! :)

Yuh as long as he has eaten something he should be ok ...
He will still be tired... and yep they do tend to perk up a bit more, when we want to sleep lol... give him some time and he should be right as rein

It think he should bite you for what you have done to him :twisted: - unless you go out and pick him some dandelions straight away, and promise to pick him some every day for the rest of his life.

Pepper did nothing really but sleep for the 12 hours post-op. I gave her all kinds of foods to tempt her but I just had to wait until she felt like it. It is really worrying, isn't it? Hope he perks up soon.

He seems to have improved a little. He's had a drink of water & eaten some of the dandelions I gave him earlier. He still pretty wiped out bless him. Thanks for all the advice so far :p

i picked up 3 of mine this afternoon as they had gone into be neutered. tribble the male is abs fine and his eating well, was munching on a carrot earlier.

the 2 girls dont seem to be recovering as quickly as tribble which is understandable. ive tried tempting them with fresh herbs which worked for all my others. il give them a few more hours and see how they are doing. im sure they will start eating soon. sassi is sitting watching tv at the mo, think she is feeling sorry for herself - bless :)

Well Gizmo is in a right strop today :twisted: He's eating and pooping OK but's he's throwing stuff round his cage like you wouldn't believe :!: He keeps tossing his rug around as well as his cardboard tube. Just tried to check his wound and he scratched at me like a demon :evil: Will have to be a two man job when Tony gets home from work :oops: He keeps lokking at me as if I'm the most hateful person in the world :? :roll:

Dont feel too bad as you have done the right thing getting him neutered. Was he like this before having strops etc, it does take a few weeks for the hormones to settle down i was informed when i had my male done (bunny that is :wink: fankfully hubby is still intact) anyway like i was saying it took a couple of weeks for him to settle down. i have to say tho im suprised the vet let him go in in the first place. my vets wouldnt allow rabbits to go home after an anthesia till they have eaten pooped and had a pee. with mr pips they kept him overnight just to make sure he was rested and recovered. It wasnt for the money either as he was a rescue and the vet hospital was the rspca so it wasnt for the money factor. I hope he settles down for you soon and give him lots of hugs and snuggles.

alpha xx

Well Gizmo went for his post op check at the vets yesterday after his neuter. Vet said everything was fine :p Gizmo has also calmed down and not having the strops guess he was in a bit of pain and very fed up :!: He's really doing well apart from the little accident he had when he got a bit excited with a faux fur cushion :oops: Generally though he settled back down and is back to his lovable self :)

Yep Ditto all said - Well done Gizmo - looks like he well and truely threw all his bunny toys out the pram though - :lol: :lol: - no doubt he still loves his mum though :wink:

My foster bun Rory was done on Thursday, he keeps on desperately trying to 'spray' wee like he used to, he's flicking his bum and legs in the air but nothing is coming out :lol: It's marvellous :lol: :lol:

Funny isn't it Gizmo has tried that but to avail :p Hope to get him a girlfriend in a couple of months time. Then maybe he'll let me of for being such an evil mum :wink:

Back