• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril

minilops

Alpha Buck
Hi! I've just joined and couldn't wait to ask my first question. One of my two minilops are on Baytril antibiotics (10 day course). Whilst attempting to bond them on neutral territory, one bit the other and as a precaution I took her to the vet who prescribed Baytril. Does anyone know if this can cause a loss of appetite? I seem to remember reading this somewhere once before, I think. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yup. It did in my Flint when he was suffering with an abscess. :(

Are you syringe feeding it? Mine have it with apple juice or ribena, to make it taste nicer. Eventually Flint started eating again, but I had to syringe feed him pellets for a while. His first attempt to eat himself was toast & spinach.

I have another bun on it at the min - She hasn't been affected the same & is eating everything in sight!

stress of any kind makes a rabbit lose its appetite - how old are they? If they are already eating veg, you could give it in a bit of folded over leaf of greens, like I did with Maa - I had to give it her when she was really hungry though or she'd leave it because of the bitter taste.

If they're not eating veg yet then like Angie says, mix it with juice to syringe, or they may even lap it off a spoon - don't mix it with their drinking water as they don't get the correct dose that way.

You could also get some probiotic powder to mix in with their drinking water - your vet will sell it, or you can get it from here (avipro)
http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/listing.asp?catno=4
this will stop the antibiotics destroying all the 'good bacteria' in their stomach, which can lead to loss of appetite as they get wind when empty.

Teddy is two and a half years old and Poppy is six months. Teddy bit Poppy when we were attempting to bond them (on neutral territory, etc). We separated them immediately and I took her straight to the vets and luckily no stitches were needed. He put her on Baytril to prevent infection but she does seem to have gone off her Science Selective, which she normally loves. I think it may be the antibiotics, but if anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated.

Hiya.
Is she still eating her hay?
Are her poops normal in size and quantity?
If not then you need to go back to your Vet as it may be her gut motility has reduced.
If she can still see/smell Teddy she may be stressed by him after he bit her. This will cause her to loose her appetite.
You could try giving her some probiotics in her water to help re-establish the 'good bacteria' in her guts which may have been disrupted by the Baytril. This could cause her to have a reduced appetite.
I would be inclined to get her Vet checked again as any change in behaviour/eating can be a sign of a problem.
The sooner it is addressed the better :wink: :D

Janex

Yes, Jane, she's still pooping well and eating hay, dried grass, etc. I gave the Baytril in a small piece of banana today and have put probiotic in her water. I don't think her gut is slowing down at all, but she does seem to be resisting her Selective. Hopefully she'll go back on them soon as I've just ordered a large sack! Thanks for your help.

Back