• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Deformed whisker

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Is it bad for a bun to have a deformed whisker? Evo has always had one - it grows thick and wiggly rather than long and thin like his other whiskers. You can't see it very well in the pic, but I think you get the idea.

IMG_0779.jpg

that's odd, I will have a look at my buns tonight see if any of them have one like it. It may be a common thing, if it is it probably wont make any difference to him. :D

Seems pretty common to me, and you see it in cats, guineas, dogs..... don't know what causes it but it certainly isn't a problem.

Kahlo's got one like that too. I noticed it last night for the first time..... I was starting to worry that she'd got it caught in something and that had made it a funny shape, but now I feel reassured :D

My rats get this too, and so has my dog at the moment.
I assume it's just normal as it's not given them any problems.
I get the same - my hair's normally dead straight but I get the occasional REALLY wavy hair, which is usually thicker than the others too. So I hope it's normal :lol:

I've not noticed it on my bunnies (but then Gypsy eats most of Alfie's and her's are quite thin) but our cat gets ones like that though.

Tam

Lavender used to have one whisker like that, I've just been to look at them closely (whilst she was trying to wedge her head in the bunny/baby gate :shock: ) and she now has 2. I think its quite normal.

I can't comment other animals having them, my mums cat rubs all of hers off, she just has a couple of stalks and some stubble! :lol:

Back