• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wow. Need help catching loose rabbits!

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
I've just spent the last hour chasing 2 Rex rabbits through a neighborhood.
I got a call from one of my good friends, a woman who runs an animal rescue. She is also a certified human officer.
Well, she called she said that she had gotten a message from a woman that had seen these two rabbits roaming freely around their neighborhood. She said she had seen them there for about 3 weeks :shock:
I am the only experienced rabbit handler the rescue has, so she called me to go along with.

I was in shock. We turned up at a poor, run down Condo. We asked some people if they had seen some rabbits and they gave us dirty looks and asked "why?"

Anyways, so we saw the rabbits. They looked fairly healthy and the woman who called us was an angel, and was there helping the whole way through. Right away we lost track of the 1st bun, a black rex. Then I saw an agouti female and started the chase. I must have ran behind her for an hour before she slipped under a house :? :x :roll:

We ended up coming home with neither of the buns :cry:

I will be sure to go back and try again, but I need some more suggestions.

We had carriers and blankets with us, but they area is so wide and open that it is hard to corner them. It is fenced off though so there is no chance of losing them. I did think of a humane trap, but I think they are too smart and too wild now to fall for that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Buddy!
I am the only experienced rabbit handler the rescue has, so she called me to go along with.
Have you forgotten me? :no: :lol: :lol:
We'll get them, but does anyone have a better idea than just chasing them?

I would try a humane trap, but don't do it on nights where it will be less than 45 F. When I was doing live trapping for my mammology class, my professor forbid trapping below that temp because a trapped animal would not be able to keep itself warm.

Was anyone putting out food for them? That would be a good spot for a trap, and use whatever is usually put out.

These articles may help:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/rescue.html
http://www.ohare.org/vol4_3.htm#search

Aspen'n'company said:
Buddy!
Have you forgotten me? :no: :lol: :lol:
We'll get them, but does anyone have a better idea than just chasing them?

Well you weren't home!!!! Sorry, ASPEN'N'COMPANY IS ALSO AN AWESOME RABBIT HANDLER! :lol:

xxx

xxx

naturestee said:
I would try a humane trap, but don't do it on nights where it will be less than 45 F. When I was doing live trapping for my mammology class, my professor forbid trapping below that temp because a trapped animal would not be able to keep itself warm.

Was anyone putting out food for them? That would be a good spot for a trap, and use whatever is usually put out.

These articles may help:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/rescue.html
http://www.ohare.org/vol4_3.htm#search

No, they have been living off of the people's gardens, the shrubs, and the grass. They look fairly healthy weight. But the people are ready to kill them because they are eating all of the plants and flowers :?

xxx

I think there a couple of threads on this, if you do a quick search. I guess it might be a bit easier if you could throw a big towel or blanket over the bunny, and scoop it up inside the blanket. Or else maybe a large fishing net (the kind they use to dangle in the water to keep fish in).

raven_guest said:
I would say a net with a long handle would help if you can get one?

Will try to get my hands on a net :?

Thanks, I've just spent the whole day reading old threads about catching buns and I've picked up a few good tips!! I'll let you know how it goes. I think I'll go back again this weekend :D

xxx

Back