• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dispose or keep hutches

fuzzybutt

Young Bun
Ok, having resettled 3 rabbits (one kept, two to Leicester to be rehomed) that were rescued from someone close to us, we have 3 exterior cages.
The bog standard sort, and frankly I/we were going to destroy all of them to ensure no one used them again.
(Note this is completely seperate from other accomodation all the rabbits have access to).

These hutches don't hold a candle to our full sized 6ft hutch.

However, I was thinking (since we already have a 6ft cage and attached run).
My idea was to throw away the smaller one or keep for emergencies only, it would leave 2x slightly larger 4ft cages.

Re-furb them, joining them together to make a double and also replace the chicken wire with serious quality wire, but mounted from the front not the inside which infringes on the rabbit.

Cut sections out and make the lower part thru, so therefore ramp the lower cage up to the bigger one.
Pair this with our existing run (which also would get the upgrade treatment of better guage wire).
Perhaps also wire from the underside, so grass can come through but no digging.

Thus we end up with a double cage, but for a single rabbit for the time being.
I guess something like these (but the 48" variety not the even more hideous 3' prisons).

http://www.gardenshedsdirect.co.uk/pethouses/hutches14.html

As it could be used for our newly acquired, smaller male rabbit I was thinking it might be viable, but if it sounds like a bad idea I will can the idea and we will look at new outside equiptment.
The idea being for it to be used with good weather, giving permanent freedom to a secure run when outdoors?

I would be in the position of building another, strurdy run for pairing with our 6ft hutch then, for our existing bonded pair to continue to enjoy.

Does this sound reasonable, and fair to our rabbit or is it best to just destroy them ? ? ?

I was going to add, but the topic got a bit long, I would be quite happy to get another one of the hutches I already had for outdoors. They only cost £100, not double level but absolutely massive and v.good quality.

However, they aren't kept outdoors permanently anyway it would only be a shelter while they were out, eating grass, a place to hide if threatened really.

Bearing in mind we just got the 5f dog crate for indoors which hes settled into, planning to consider the second platform later (is this generally considered safe by all?).

However if the concensus would be its better to "go large" (supersize me), then I could consider it, or I could go the DIY route with the existing if it was adequate.

Put to vote ?!? Answers on a postcard ?!? :lol:

The trouble with using existing hutches and doubling them up is that they still aren't tall enough for rabbits, and they are not very deep either. I would go for another 6ft one if possible.

But if it is only to be used a shelter in a run rather than as their main home that is different as if they have a tall enough run the height won't matter.

I know how you feel, i am going to have all my old piggie pens vacant soon as they are moving into new and better! :D

But i keep looking at the old ones and think..its such a shame to smash them up and get rid of at the tip. ! Cant really sell them as they are a bit chewed and need a good scrub and the woodwork needs rubbing down and re-coating.

w-DSCF1870.jpg

BUT i know if I keep them I may end up with MORE piggies or there will be some emergency or something will crop up and I will end up using them... so i know they have to go!

Pity no rescue wants them..as they are ok for piggies..not rabbit though !
:shock:

I've been really grateful of two small hutches (one is tiny) for my two nethies. Both are ex guinea pig hutches begged and borrowed from my sister. The hutches are situated in their run, so are just used for shelter, and for running in and out of (and sitting on top of :roll: ) This then gives them more room in the run to run around.

You can see them in here. The run's 6' x 6' to give you an idea of the size
DSCN0840.jpg

silly4sows said:
I know how you feel, i am going to have all my old piggie pens vacant soon as they are moving into new and better! :D

But i keep looking at the old ones and think..its such a shame to smash them up and get rid of at the tip. ! Cant really sell them as they are a bit chewed and need a good scrub and the woodwork needs rubbing down and re-coating.

w-DSCF1870.jpg

BUT i know if I keep them I may end up with MORE piggies or there will be some emergency or something will crop up and I will end up using them... so i know they have to go!

Pity no rescue wants them..as they are ok for piggies..not rabbit though !
:shock:

I'd have them if I could get them here :D I'm sure they could be converted to fewer units, or they would be good in an emergency - like when the RSPCA brought me 44 guineas a few weeks ago :!: I will have to find places to put any boys born when the preggie piggies start to pop :roll:

I would fix it up and sell it. Especially because once you fix it up it will be way better than what you usually find in the paper or on ebay. This way you could also raise money for your rescue. A 2 level 4ft hutch is fine but as said its only the height thats the problem, maybe you could take the floor off the bottom one put an extra frame of wood and put it back on????? Do you know what I mean? Or take the floor completely out of the run part, do the level up to the inclosed part and it will therefore leave an area beside the rampe that they will have 2 stories that they can stretch up to if they are on the bottom floor.

If that was the case, I would be prepared to let u them even though I was getting excited on the idea of donning my DIY cap again !

Redditch may be quite a way though, would you ever happen to find a way of getting them from Northants ?

Selling, I am afraid no, out of the question I would never want to reduce any poor bunny to such confines and how do you know it wouldn't happen (except a smaller animal ie piggies or something).

I just hate the idea of perhaps someone using them on rabbits as a permanent cage/prison.

That said I do understand your point about making adjustments, that was kind of the idea I had. With this kind of construction of cage though, it must go inside a well secured pen - I dont think they are up to protecting against foxes etc even if you replace the wire. What are they, just hardboard etc???

If the wood's in good condition you could use them as shelter in the run, or join the 2 BUT I bet they aren't deep enough - need to be 2' deep really.

My piggies came in a 'breeder unit' which I didn't want to smash up, having paid for it, but didn't want to sell, as no way would I want any animal living in such a tiny thing - So I turned it into a tool chest/old crockery store/christmas decoration store/animal first aid chest - It's really useful, although not exactly decorative - maybe I'll cover it with a tablecloth when I'm feeling creative :roll:

A couple of hutches would make quite good planters with a bit of work? Doors off, turned sideways up? :)

Back