• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tempting foods (advice would definately be appreciated!)

Karly

Banned
Can anyone list some foods to tempt a very non-food orientated bun with?
To make it a short story, bun (not mine) was fed lots of treat foods and fed on a mix, and not really encouraged to eat hay as she never showed any interest in it.
Possibly as a result of this, the bun got the beginnings of GI stasis while here with me. We caught it quickly and she was down the vet, but obviously if she goes back to just the food she's been on there's a good chance it'll happen again.
The bun has eaten hay while with me, but she seems to get bored/fed up of it quickly. Same with veg - she's always been fed on sliced spring greens and baby carrots, and she'll eat these but when I've introduced little bits of new veg she'll have a munch and then leave them.
I've managed to wean her onto pellets, and I'm now on the stage where she'll eat them without any of her mix added either - however, her owner says when she tries, the bun wouldn't touch the bowl at all, not even the mix that was in with the pellets.
Apparently she used to go mad for grass but no longer really likes it either. I picked some for her today, as well as a dandelion, and she had a sniff, a little nibble at the grass, and again, decided she'd had enough.
Is she just a really fussy bunny, or could it be something more sinister? She has problems with a blocked tear duct, but her teeth have been looked at with no problems. I'm just wondering if it's possibly a root thing making her duct block, and whether this would decrease her appetite too. Is there anything that could be done for this anyway?
It's awkward as she's not my bunny, and her owner is at her wits end as all attempts at converting her to a healthy eating have failed - and I have to say my success is quite limited too. Although bun is rather spoilt, the owner does love her and would do anything to make sure she's as healthy as can be.
Bun is due to go home tonight but we've agreed that I'll keep her for however long it takes for her gut to be working OK, as I've been syringe-feeding her which is a bit of a difficult task for me - even though I've done it many times before - so her owner prefered that I continued it.
I'm not sure whether keeping her is the right thing though - owner admits that she may not recognise the signs of GI stasis as well as I might, but then being in her home environment may help her get better sooner. I'm just a bit concerned that the healthy eating may lose out to eating something she really loves, like treatsticks, no matter how good the owners intentions are.
I'm just feeling awkward as it's not my bunny, and not really my responsibility, but when I know what needs to be done it's hard not to try my best to convince her owner - especially as, as her owner said last night, bun's done fine up until now on this diet.
I think if I could find a way to get bun to enjoy healthy food as much as the treats, etc. then she'd be fine but it's proving rather difficult :?

Oops, I meant to make a list of what I'd tried but rambled and forgot :oops:

OK, she's had:
spring greens - she prefers the pre-sliced ones
baby carrots
romaine lettuce - not mad on it
parsley - keen at first but got 'bored'
dandelion - totally ignored it
grass - had a nibble and left the rest
green cabbage - seemed to like this but typically I've got none left :roll:
dried nettle, dried raspberry and dried roses - think she picked out the roses and left the rest
meadow hay, several types - preferred the cheap dry one I don't have any left of :roll: but has a nibble at the current stuff
timothy hay - went mad for it at first but ignores it now
Excel Lite and Science selective pellets - doesn't run up and gobble them down in 2 seconds like my buns, but will eat them

Angie65 said:
Spinach & broccoli. Flint, Rosie & Temp New Bun LOVE IT

Thanks, bought both of those today so will try her! Got some kale which she can try too

If she had her teeth checked whilst still conscious I am not 100% convinced there is no problem. Experience has taught me that the ONLY way to thouroughly examine a Buns teeth is when the Bun is anaethetised.
The runny eyes sends warning bells re overgrown tooth roots and I would lay a reasonable wager that this Bun has dental probs.

Janex

JCO said:
If she had her teeth checked whilst still conscious I am not 100% convinced there is no problem. Experience has taught me that the ONLY way to thouroughly examine a Buns teeth is when the Bun is anaethetised.
The runny eyes sends warning bells re overgrown tooth roots and I would lay a reasonable wager that this Bun has dental probs.

Janex

That was one of my immediate thoughts when I first boarded the bunny and was told she wouldn't eat hay and had eye problems.
Unfortunately she's not my bun to get checked out and although I've mentioned it several times it's obviously something they haven't done, though I believe they go to my vet and I trust that my vet would definately suggest it.
My mum's bf says to just get the owner to pick her up and deal with it herself as she's not my responsibility, but I do feel partially responsible for her as my actions could help her :? I'm not sure what to do, I know that if she was mine I'd be missing her a lot, but then I'd also want the best for her, and the owner has said that if I feel she needs the syringe-feeding and nursing here then she's happy for her to stay :?

Well if you use the same Vet and you trust the Vet.....
Bun is in your care.......
Why not take her along to the Vet yourself and see what he/she says :? :?
You could always tell owner that you were concerned Bun was going into stasis and so consulted your (mutual Vet).
Then if Vet suggests GA Dental for Bun you can tell owner who then has no excuse not to accept professional advice.(You can labour that point too :wink: )
Well done you for working so hard to improve the health of this Bunny.

Janex

She went to the vet Sunday, where her teeth were looked at conciously. As I couldn't get in touch with the vet I couldn't give permission for anything more and had to foot the bill (though they'll pay me back)
I've just come off the phone with her and we've decided that she'll pick her up today, keep a close eye on her and call me with any worries, and obviously get her to the vet if she deteriorates or doesn't improve.
Off to make a little goodybag and copy down the list of safe veg as I've suggested trying to see if she'll have any other favourite veg she won't get bored of.

Back