• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Starsky..any advice welcome!

StarskyBunni

Young Bun
Hi all!

I don't think my little Starsky is all that well...just wondering if anyone could help before i take him to the bunny docs.

DSC01265.jpg

This is a picture of his eye, both are the same and the fur around his eyes looks sticky and sore but you can't really see it in this picture. He's acting very strange as well and contastly washing his shoulder areas and wouldnt drink any water. He also keeps sneezing and moving very erratically.

Any advice or diagnosis would be very much appreciated!!

Thankyou!

Keeley
xx

Is he eating normally? It sounds like a respiratory tract and eye infection, but this can also be caused by other things such as overgrown tooth roots - any change in normal eating behaviour is an indicator of this. When is your bunny seeing the vet?

It looks as though he has conjunctivitus in his eyes, and if he is sneezing too he probably has snuffles. He definitely needs to see a vet and get an antibiotic and some eye drops.

Hello.
Sounds like your Bun needs to see the Vet first thing in the morning.
Bun might have a bacterial infection needing antibiotics.
I hope your bun is eating/pooping OK?
If not you need to seek Veterinary treatment STRAIGHT AWAY. Otherwise his guts will stop working and that is VERY serious.

Does he normally drink from a sipper bottle? If so try offering him water from a bowl.
His runny eyes may be due to a tooth problem. If this is the case he may find it uncomfortable to use the sipper bottle as sharp spurs on his teeth may cut into his tongue/cheeks as he tries to use the bottle.
I am sure your Vet will be able to help and the sooner Starsky is seen the better :D :D

Janex

Hi there,
Does he have any discharge coming from his nose? Are the insides of his front paws wet? When did he last drink? Obviously fluids are vital to all animals or you could get all sort of problems. What do you mean by behaving erractically?
Sorry for all the questions but it will hopefully let us understand abit more of what`s going on with your little guy.
It really does sound like he needs to see a vet but if you can give us alittle more information someone may be able to give you some advice for the immediate time.

Su.x

We haven't actually got him an appointmet yet, we've just got back from holiday so I haven't a clue how he's eating.
I thought his eyes may be infected too but i wanted to check...im not all that clued up. He had quite audible breathing today which he's never had before so i thought he may have the snuffles or some kind of hay fever but his eyes worry me.

Keeley
xx

He doesn't appear to have any other fluids but like I say i've only just got back from holiday. He wouldn't drink his water earlier and usually once i give him fresh water he guzzles it down...so thats when i began to get concerned.

Keeley
xx

If your Bun has noisy breathing he needs to see a Vet TONIGHT.
Dont want to panic you but if your Bun is making a noise when he breathes then his sore eyes are the least of his problems. Bunnies with respiratory probs can deteriorate rapidly so IMMEDIATE Veterinary attention is ESSENTIAL.

Janex

StarskyBunni said:
We haven't actually got him an appointmet yet, we've just got back from holiday so I haven't a clue how he's eating.
I thought his eyes may be infected too but i wanted to check...im not all that clued up. He had quite audible breathing today which he's never had before so i thought he may have the snuffles or some kind of hay fever but his eyes worry me.

Keeley
xx

If his breathing is `audible` you really need to get him to a vet a.s.a.p, i don`t mean to scare you but respiratoery problems are very serious and the sooner you get him treatment the better.

Su.x

JCO said:
Dont want to panic you but if your Bun is making a noise when he breathes then his sore eyes are the least of his problems. Bunnies with respiratory probs can deteriorate rapidly so IMMEDIATE Veterinary attention is ESSENTIAL.

Janex

Sorry Jane, must have posted at the same time.

ahhh!!!

It's not constantly audible...it's just every now and again...
oh dear...im extreamly worried....im going to check him quickly, he's playing in the garden at the moment.

Keeley
xx

cannonwoman said:
JCO said:

Janex

Great minds think alike matey :wink:
.....or is at that fools seldom differ :? :roll: :lol: :lol:

Janex

Ok
I just checked on him and his paws are not wet and theres no discharge from his nose of anywhere else for that matter...his breathing is no longer audible so thats a HUGE relief. However he still won't let me touch him or anything...i mean he's never been a particuarly lovey bunny but he usually likes a stroke.

Keeley
xx

JCO said:
cannonwoman said:
JCO said:

Janex

Great minds think alike matey :wink:
.....or is at that fools seldom differ :? :roll: :lol: :lol:

Janex

In my case probably the later! :oops: :lol: :lol:

Su.x

StarskyBunni said:
Ok
I just checked on him and his paws are not wet and theres no discharge from his nose of anywhere else for that matter...his breathing is no longer audible so thats a HUGE relief. However he still won't let me touch him or anything...i mean he's never been a particuarly lovey bunny but he usually likes a stroke.

Keeley
xx

If he were mine i would still want him checked by a vet. Something`s obviously making him unhappy and the fact that you were able to hear his breathing is very concerning as, as Jane said rabbits with respiratory problems can go down hill very fast.

Su.x

Ok...i'm going to get him checked out. I've given him a bowl of water and he's drinking that so it may have something to do with his teeth. Im going to take him to the vets though. Thankyou for your help!

Keeley
xx

Back