• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit dragging it's hind legs

hunnybun

Mama Doe
A friend asked me to take her rabbit to see the vet this morning, it has little or no power in it's back legs, it can get around but only by dragging its legs :( anyway the vet is unsure about it being a spinal injury and we decided to treat it for a disease which can effect the hind legs, the thing is I can't remember what she called it!! I think it began with PH she has given me steroids for it. Does anyone know of the disease I am talking about?? :?

Encephalitizoon Cuniculli or EC.
This is a parasite which once in the bloodstream sheds spores which migrate to other organs including the brain.
If EC is suspected the bun should also be treated with PANACUR to kill off the parasite.
Steroids will only treat the symptoms not the cause IF the cause is EC.

Janex

JCO said:
This is a parasite which once in the bloodstream sheds spores which migrate to other organs including the brain.
If EC is suspected the bun should also be treated with PANACUR to kill off the parasite.

Janex

Thanks, that what I thought it was, but not sure that is what she called it! This is such a lovely bunny ( aren't they all) I would hate to see her die, I don't think the outlook is very good though.

JCO said:

Janex

I wonder how infectious it is? :? :(

Any in contact Buns are at risk.
Immuno supressed hoomans are reported to be too (ie those on steroid treatment or are HIV +)

Janex

JCO said:
Any in contact Buns are at risk.
Immuno supressed hoomans are reported to be too (ie those on steroid treatment or are HIV +)

Janex

Wonderful!!!! :? :shock: :? :shock: :? I still have the rabbit here, but when I got back from the vets, I put it in a hutch in the front garden away from my rescue buns, the lady stays near me though her rabbits are literally through the hedge from mine :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

the spores for E-C are shed in the wee of an infected animal. However a lot of rabbits carry e-c but don't have any problems with it - it's one of those unpredictable ones, like pasteurella. You can diagnose it with a blood test, and like Jane says, panacur can be started immediately - it's not expensive, and will stop further damage being done, although it can't cure existing damage.

elve said:
the spores for E-C are shed in the wee of an infected animal. However a lot of rabbits carry e-c but don't have any problems with it - it's one of those unpredictable ones, like pasteurella. You can diagnose it with a blood test, and like Jane says, panacur can be started immediately - it's not expensive, and will stop further damage being done, although it can't cure existing damage.

Thanks, going tp phone vet now and ahve a chat about it.

xx

Back