• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My last remaining gerbil

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Heres spice
1096.jpg

1097.jpg

1099.jpg

Hello cutie pie!

What a shame, he's all alone. But at least he doesn't have to share his food!

Will you be getting him a new friend? I don't know anything about gerbils, is it like buns where you can bond them with a new one?

Aww!
Snap (though mine looks a bit older and more haggard than yours, but she's had a stressful life, bless)
P3280076.jpg

toffeepudding said:
WHats a gerbil? They just look like rats????? I've never heard of them!

They're smaller than rats, and have a shorter tail which is covered in fur. Their faces are shorter too.
They're sociable like rats though, but introductions are more difficult and generally adult female introductions aren't a good idea - males are a bit easier but it can still be tough.
They originate from the desert and love to burrow. They bathe in sand to keep their fur clean and grease-free, like chinchillas.
They're very interesting to watch, especially if they've got a deep tank with room for burrows and that, and although not generally as cuddly as rats, they're a lot less likely to bite you than hamsters!

bluebunny said:
Awww how old is yours?

Not sure, she was from my stint working at Notcutts, apparently she'd been in the quarantine room for a year or two :? All that was wrong with her was that she had mites, imagine how sore it must've been to be untreated for at least a year :( That's why her nose is all red and bald, it's all scar tissue (though it's finally started to grow hair on it now)

Awww looks so cute, I used to have a black gerbil and a grey one like that, I bought them cause Trio (the black one) only had three legs, so no one wanted him and they where talking about getting him put down. He was a big softie.

Back