• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Facial abcess question

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys!
Just wondered if you could help me with an abcess question please....

Bob was recovering from a facial abcess when i got him a few weeks ago, he's been back to the vets several times since for check ups and i've been cleaning the wound and giving him baytril every day since.

But something the vet said puzzles me a bit- he said its best for the wound to be open as long as possible, which i understand.
But he also said I need to continue cleaning the wound every day and that it will never really heal- surely he can't have a hole in his cheek forever?? (I'm not complaining about having to clean the wound as I want him to be well.) He's due for another check up in two weeks, but just wondering how facial abcesses work really.

Thank you

You need to continue flushing out the wound until the lump has gone and there is no trace of puss left. Once all the puss has gone you can let the wound heal up naturally. I would continue with the antibiotics until a few days after all traces of puss are gone.

Thank you.
There hasn't been any puss for a while now- the vet said to just use up all the baytril up, which I had quite a lot of.

Hi Minilops
I muat admit that Bob didn't seem to lose his appetite.
I've stopped the Baytril now, which he was on for about 4 weeks with me and he always seemed fine eating lots. BUT...he was recovering from his abcess when i got him and I'm not sure what he was like prior to that. He had lost a lot of weight because of the abcess, so I suppose because he was feeling a bit better his appetitie may have come back?

Also, because I was trying to increase his weight I gave him a teaspoon of human baby food in a little bowl after the baytril and he would always go mad searching for it! It might be worth a try with yours? I only brought vegetarian, organic jars with nothing added- no dairy especially. (Although yours has been eating something hasn't she?)

Yes, she's eating hay and dried grass and also pieces of banana, which is where I hide the Baytril! She just seems to have gone off SS. Do you think it is possible for them to just "go off" certain pellets? Was going to try her on her previous Excel but am not sure whether this is a good idea, especially as I've just bought a huge sack for my two. Always the way, isn't it? What do you think?

Back