• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Willie is not Well

Hi all!

This morning i checked on the buns as usual. I took willie out to give him quick cuddle and he start shaking as if he had just been scared by something. He continued to shake for about 30 minutes too. His eating and drinking are normal,and his litter box seems to be filling up as normal. Both Ashlee and Aspen are fine (his cage mates) and Holly is also fine(different cage). What could be wrong?

I am really sorry to hear this and even sorrier that I cannot offer any advice but I am sure you will get heaps once this is read. Good luck and all my hugs for you

16.jpg

Willie has gotten worse. I was preparing to leave for work when i heard willie screaming. I came running in to see what was happening expecting a fight, but it was just willie flopped out on his side. He laid there for a few seconds and then hopped back up. He is now hunched up in the corner and the girls are both snuggling him. All vets are closed here on sunday! What do i do?

ps.
I am afriad the travel to the emergency vet (1 hour+) could be too stressful for him.

Hiya.
Can you have a look at his eyes.
Are the eyeballs flicking from side to side?
Are his pupils equal in size?

It is possible the symptoms you describe are neurological in origin.
This could be due to infection or EC, or trauma to the head, or ingestion of a toxin.

If you are unable to get Willie to a vet today you do need to ensure he continues to eat/drink/poop. He does net Veterinary attention ASAP. Meantime he needs to be kept warm and obseved for any sign of deterioration.

Hope Willie is soon better

Janex

Thankyou Jane!
Willie's eyes appear to be fine. He has complete control over them and his pupils are (as of now) the same size. He is a little unsteady while walking (he seems to be disoriented) but his eating and drinking, and pooing are all going well. I have shut the windows to keep the breeze out. I will get him to the vet as soon as i can tommorrow and i will be watching him througout the day.
Thankyou again

Willie is being very jumpy at the smallest noises. Should i confine him and the girls to a smaller space or leave them be? I am sorry to be asking so many questions

I would confine him to a safe quiet area. I'd keep his friends with him though. Maybe close the curtains too(I am assuming he's an indoor bun?) as if he does have something untoward going on in his brain excessive light stimulation may induce a fit.
Do let us know how he gets on.
Janex

I have covered the window with a blanket (my curtains fell down in decemver :oops: ) I have either given away or broken all of my smaller cages, so for now the buns will stay in their current cage (about 4 feet x 4 feet)

I will update within a few hours, or if his condtion changes. He is currently munching on parsley, dandelion, and cilantro.

how old is the bun? If he is older it could poss be a stroke. it could also be epilepsy starting this way. is it possible he has eaten anything he shouldnt have?

Eva

Willie is only 1 year and 7 months. I doubt he has eaten something he shoudn't have, and if he did i am sure the others would have eaten it too. I think this is a neurological prob. but i'm not sure. Anyways, the dark room has really calmed him down, but he is still having the occasional spook.
I'll keep you updated, and thankyou for the positve vibes.

oh dear - hope he's going to be OK :( A blood test can rule out a lot of things, like e-cuniculi, but it will take time for the results to get back.

*vibes*

Have you checked all your electrical cords? Could he have gotten past a barrier or chewed through something covering a cord?

No, he hasn't nipped through any chords. They are all covered and they haven't really been attempting to chew the chords the past few months. They also haven't been out since thursday ( I had a 2 day water polo tournament,and my grandpa's 60th birthday party) I am almost positive he had a seizure of some sort. He seems to be completely back to his normal self, but I will still take him to the vet tommorrow.
Thankyou for the vibes

what a worry for you!. it's good that he's back to his normal self now :D but you are doing the right thing by taking him to the vets for a check up anyway.

Just a little update until Aspen'n'company can get on:

Aspen'n'Company is not home at the moment so I packed up the buns for him and they are on the way to the vets now :D I'm sure he will let us all know how it went when he comes home :D

xxx

Back