• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Got Honeys New House

holder

Alpha Buck
I have got Honeys new wendy house put up to day :D , I don't know if you read my post before about Honey she was always wet & swellon hock & always at the vets & i nearly lost her twice :cry: , Honey has done a turn around she is always dry but her hock is still playing up but not has bad now & full of life, i want to rehome another rabbit in a month or two has i am going to move her into her new house in the warmer weather so i don't want her to be lonely, it sits at the start of the grass & i am going to put a pickit fence around the grass( i have slabs down around the grass) i am also having the grass taken up & rabbit proof wire laid down so they will not be able to tunnel out :wink: the grass is in a circle & from the centre is around 8 ft to the fence so from 1 side to the other side is about 16ft, the house is 6ft by 6ft, is there any thing more i should be doing to make sure every thing goes ahead for a home visit to get a mate for Honey so i can get on with it.
Any advice is welcome :)

Hiya.
Good news to hear Honey is much better :D
The accomodation sounds fab :thumb:
Just wonder if the run outside the wendy house will have a predator proof top on it :?
Foxes are able to climb even the highest fence and unless constantly supervised buns may be at risk in an open top run.
Hope the search for a friend for Honey goes well :D :D

Janex

Homechecks usually look at general environment aswell. If you have any cats around you have to proove that they can't get at the bun/s. Cleanliness is a big one also but I doubt you would have any problems there. Usually if you have a rabbit already and a big enough hutch then you will pass with flying colours. Unfortunately as I have read the RSPCA can be really strict with hutches but if you have a wendy house that is definately fine. I am sure that all rescues on here would be glad to rehome a bun to you. So if all doesn't go to plan then you always have other options.

I'm guessing you will be taking the grass up putting wire down and then putting the grass back ontop? I want to do something like that.

The only problem would be that even though the buns won't be able to get out of their grassed area things like foxes, birds and cats can still jump or fly into the area and may harm your bun/s.

yes not only will the run need a top on, unless you can supervise them constantly whilst they are in it, but my rabbits can squeeze through a 3" gap! :shock: I nearly died when my neighbour said they were on the street - I have a picket gate! And one of my rabbits knows how to use his legs - he can easily jump 3', so be warned about that too - Shame they are such escapologists because what you have in mind sounds sooo pretty! :)

I'm guessing you will be taking the grass up putting wire down and then putting the grass back ontop
Yes i putting the grass back down plus i'm having wire all around the fencing has well (sounds more like a prison :) ) so the can't fit though the gaps in the fence.
Just wonder if the run outside the wendy house will have a predator proof top on it
That is the next stage along with the fence some one is making me a cover to go over the whole of the fence in wire to stop any thing getting in not shaw how it is going to look though just waiting to see a pic of one they have done before :? not to bothered what it looks like has long has it is safe :) my hubby has has a 6ft run with a box on the end made for her all covered in wire. i have got 6 ft fence on top of concrete fence making it nearly 7ft but only a little fence on 1 side so i have brought the bamboo fence which is sooooooo expenise :shock: but it is strong & 6 1/2 ft tall has we do have foxes here & i know what they are like but no cats here at all. i won't let them out unless some one is watching them & that is not a ploblem has some one is always at home.
Every one is laughing at me :( saying i am going over the top ( i know i am :) ) but i have never had a rabbit before & i never thought she would pull though like she did so she in my eyes she is worth it :D
Any ideas on insulating the house to make it warmer in the winter, some one said about a green house heater which is a good idea, i have been looking for a post someone said that they have insulated there shed for the rabbits, just wondered what would be the best thing :?:
Thank you every one its a great help to read your advice & i need all i can get :D

Pets at home sell covers for hutches that are special insulating ones but they will be far too small for your bunny mansion!

You could always get some old duvets or cheap used ones from Ebay and using a staple gun staple them to the walls, and cover them in some type of plastic or something so the buns couldn't chew it.

my 4 girls are in a shed, and I felt more sorry for them this winter than the hutch bunnies, as the shed's brick and concrete floored - The hutches had duvets covered with rubber backed rugs, but the shed had nothing - I put a fleecy pet mat down over half the floor, and they had their litter boxes full of hay to sit in, but it didn't look cosy :? However they seemed fine - I think if they have plenty of time out there before winter, they build up a good thick coat, so don't worry too much.

Will the fence cover go across your whole garden (effectively 'caging' it in) or just around the top of the fence to stop things climbing in? If it's the latter, there's still the risk of hawks, owls, etc.

Will the fence cover go across your whole garden (effectively 'caging' it in) or just around the top of the fence to stop things climbing in? If it's the latter, there's still the risk of hawks, owls

The cover will go over the fence has the rabbits will only be inside the fence i can not let her in the rest of the garden has when she used to run away from the other people who had her she would always go under my decking it took 4 days to catch her has she used to sit & eat the grass & has soon has we went outside she would be gone in a slit second under the decking & would not come out, i managed to catch her on the 4th day the last time she come to us so i dare not let her wonder in to the rest of the garden even though it is really small

Back