• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poppy stinks!

melaniejb

Mama Doe
Hello!

Poppy's poo is wreaking at the moment and she is quite smelly too :?. I've checked her bottom and she is clean, her poos are normal solid currants and I havent seen any caecotrophs. She's well in herself and is eating perfectly...LOTS of hay, 1/2 handful of food, greens, strawberries, cabbage, grass, dandilion etc etc!!!!

I've read a similar post recently saying that it was cabbage that causes the pong but she's only had cabbage today and she was smelling yesterday (she'd had greens). I'm a bit worried as I don't want her to get flystrike...what do you think I should do???? Cut out greens/cabbage?? Vets??

Any ideas/tips to get rid of the stink greatly appreciated!!!!! :)

Edit - She has been spayed and all the foods, she has had before!

Hiya.

I'd cut out everything but HAY for a couple of days and then gradually re-introduce HALF the amount of pellets.
Then after another couple of days just give a SMALL portion of dark leafy greens.
I'd avoid the cabbage (has a similar effect on me :oops: ..SORRY too much information there :roll: ) and one strawberry as a very OCCASSIONAL treat.
Herbs such as Basil or Parsley are also popular with bunnies.
Hope this helps Poppy be less....well.....POPPY :wink:

Janex

That's an excellent idea, especially the dandilion, rabbit shouldn't eat too much of it. It's too exotic, over here, dandilion is 100% consider as a wild weed and nothing else.

JCO said:
Herbs such as Basil or Parsley are also popular with bunnies.

Will the basil and parsley combat the smell of the poo?? :oops:

She only had the strawberry (just 1/2) and dandilions yesterday so I don't think that it's that which is making her pong. She's been smalling since Friday but we havent given her anything other than greens before then... :?

Will try reducing her pellets and see if that gets rid of it!!!

Back