• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unwell bunny lady

SiDHEaD

Warren Scout
Hello,

I noticed earlier that our nethy isn't very well, she wasn't interested in carrot treats or dandylion leaves and her nose isnt twitching as normal.

I thought she would get better during the day, as they sometimes have off days but shes not moved all day. The toilet seems to not have any of her pellets in and after picking her up she seems bloated and solid (more so on one side).

She was perfectly fine (eating and toilet) last nite.

Anyone offer advice to help her?

Oh dear, poor bunny. I don't want to scare you, but a bunny not having eaten all day, especially with a hard stomach and no poops, is very serious - she really needs to see a vet and get some medication to get her gut going tonight, tomorrow could well be too late :cry: Hope the little darling gets better soon xx

yes, it's important to get her to the vets. Ring the emergency vet and talk to them and explain your concerns. It could be bloat, statis, a blockage or some other gut problem which can be very very serious and often fatal. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, I really don't want to scare you. I have learnt so much from the sad stories on here, and also from my own experiance. I hope your bunny will be OK.

she passed away before we could do anything. She started putting her head back with mouth wide open seeminly like she was trying to cough, and then went limp and after breathing gently for a min died in my arms :(

aww how sad :( Sounds like Pepsi - he had a blockage from eating plastic, roofing felt and loads of hair off Benny (who was moulting) - the vet couldn't do anything either, except give painkillers :(

I am so sorry to hear how this turned out. A very sad day for you

heartsw.gif

Oh I am so sorry xxx
My cassie bun passed away the same way, all in the space of under two hours. The vets couldn't do anything for her and she was pts.

Binky free little girl xxxx

SarahP said:
So sorry to hear this. Sounds like it all happened so fast.
That's just the thing, she was perfectly fine friday night - pushing Evo out the way for the food etc.

During the day she was just quiet and not moving much - but they've both had off days like this before, her moreso. When i posted on here it was because she seemed swolen, and then straight after she just went bad. Couldn't hold herself up properly.

I sat her on my lap for a bit and then she started putting her head back and opening her mouth really wide like she was choking. I tried massaging her but didnt know what more to do. then she settled and her breaths got shallower, till she went.

The swelling seemed to be just on one side and more chest area.

I let Evo smell round her, but I dont know if he realises. They havent spent a day apart in over 3 years, and spent 95% of those days cuddled together. He smelt her again this morning before we buried her, and he came out with us and sat with us all through the digging hole etc - cetainly a lot more mellow than he usually is.

He's just sitting quietly now.

oh the other thing is, her breath really smelt bad when she mustered up a little lick on the end of my nose near the end. It's never been like this before.

Back