• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potato peelings

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
When we had rabbits as children we used to give them a mixture of potato peelings and bran (can't remember if it was cooked or not) and they would go mad over it. One time, though, it got left out in the hot sun and they ate it after it started fermenting and they got a bit drunk oops! :? Anyway, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you shouldn't give them potato peelings ( I know they can't be green at all) but I wasn't sure. . ?

As far as I know they are a NO NO for bunnies!!
Best stick with dark leafy greens/carrot tops/dandelion leaves etc.
To be honest I always thought uncooked tatties (including skin) were toxic to buns :? :?

Janex

No potatoes are not good for buns at all. Mine have eaten them before and been ok, but they'd got in the sack, but they're no good for the buns really, they are not that good for people really :lol: .

We don't give horses potato peelings because of the risk of worm eggs from manure spread across the fields to help the tatties grow. Wondered whether this was a good reason not to give it to rabbits aswell.

elve said:
I think that would have been cooked - I know that recipie is what you feed chickens on too.

I spoke to my vet about this, and have been researching it, apparantly in small doses its absoloutly fine for bunnies to have potato peelings, its just like they shouldnt have too much greens, my buns have peelings once a week, and they love them, i think its kinda an old wives tail to be honest....my mum had rabbits since she was 18 and she said she fed bunnies potato peelings all the time, and none of her bunnies passed away before the age of 6/7 so thats good?

tinkerbell said:
elve said:
I think that would have been cooked - I know that recipie is what you feed chickens on too.

I spoke to my vet about this, and have been researching it, apparantly in small doses its absoloutly fine for bunnies to have potato peelings, its just like they shouldnt have too much greens, my buns have peelings once a week, and they love them, i think its kinda an old wives tail to be honest....my mum had rabbits since she was 18 and she said she fed bunnies potato peelings all the time, and none of her bunnies passed away before the age of 6/7 so thats good?

Maybe - though they can live past 10!!!

I know they are toxic to humans, cos my Grandad ate them during the War in a POW Camp!!!

It's like Iceberg lettuce - causes long-term damage to the liver, but no visible affects unless bun reaches old age. :?

I know they are toxic to humans, cos my Grandad ate them during the War in a POW Camp!!!

The only part of the potato that it toxic to humans or animals is any green parts, as long as the potato peelings are not green they are edible, however they are very high in starch so it is now not recommended to give much to rabbits.

It's like Iceberg lettuce - causes long-term damage to the liver, but no visible affects unless bun reaches old age

Do you have any evidence of this or know where this information came from. I'm not questioning it, I'm trying to collect together information about what can and can't be fed to rabbits and this reason for iceberg I haven't come across before

Claire

Bramblespack said:

The only part of the potato that it toxic to humans or animals is any green parts, as long as the potato peelings are not green they are edible, however they are very high in starch so it is now not recommended to give much to rabbits.

It's like Iceberg lettuce - causes long-term damage to the liver, but no visible affects unless bun reaches old age

Do you have any evidence of this or know where this information came from. I'm not questioning it, I'm trying to collect together information about what can and can't be fed to rabbits and this reason for iceberg I haven't come across before

Claire

Well I doubt in a Nazi POW camp, they were exactly careful not to eat green bit when they were dying of starvation!!!

The lettuce thing I've read twice before - once on here a few months back, & once in one of my 2 bunny books. Will check tonight & put which one tomorrow!

oh yes - but like I said about giving them to rabbits - cooked are fine, it's what you feed to chickens.

elve said:
oh yes - but like I said about giving them to rabbits - cooked are fine, it's what you feed to chickens.

Never thought about cooked. Thought it just meant peel straight from the potato before it went in the bin!

:oops:

Back