• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi and VHD

Liz

Warren Scout
When I took Harvey for his jabs- they offered to do both at once- is this normal? for his 1st ones, they had to be done seprately to make sure he did not react to them- and if he did- they would know which. He is to get Mxyi twice a year as it is considered a high risk area we are in- but when its time to do the VHD again- they can be done together I thought the vet said. Also- costs??? wow £7.50- thats a lot cheaper than here- I was £28 for both- not sure how much one is. What price are others paying?

Castration

oops- not been on forum for a wee while- and just noticed another thread re this- sorry for repeat! After Harv had his 1st Myxi jab- he had a dry, lumpy bit where he was injected- a little like excema- but it dried and fell off after 2 wks- I did not treat it in any way. Vet said this was normal. He would not come near me for 2 days after- took a lot of coaxing and patience and just sitting with him until he built up trust again- all for it to be done again with the VHD- again another couple of days and time and patience. He is now booked in to be neutered - am so worried he won't come near me again!- will take time off work where I can to be with him though- I so hope I'm doing the right thing here- I want to get him a g/f so he won't be lonely and know I have to do this- am thinking- it is for the best in the long run but feel so cruel at other times- did anyone else have these kinds of thoughts/worries? :?

As far as I know the official advice is that there should be a 2 week gap between the two Vaccinations.
Even if that were to be changed and it was considered safe to give both Vaccines at once my personal UNQUALIFIED opinion is that I would still stick with the 2 week gap.
Just because a Bun does not have an adverse reation on the first vaccination doesn't mean they wont second time around. Again, just my UNQUALIFIED opinion :wink:

Janex

jags

thx Jane- will stick with the 2 wk gap- its only £3 difference- so pennies in the scale of things.

Back