• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how many of you have your runs uncovered ?

LucyJK

Warren Scout
After the rspca failed me :cry: I have now decided to create a section of the garden purely for the bunnies. (well its kind was their area but their run was in it and it wasnt rabbit proof.)

Ive taken the run out and rabbit proofed all the gaps so its one BIG space (about 10-12ft square). Its paved so no chance of digging. the y would have access to their hutch at all times and locked away at night.

do you think this would be ok ? or do you think they should stay in a covered run.

Im a full time mum so am home a lot, but not all the time. i dont have to worry about cats as my dog wont let them near the garden and Ive never seen a fox during the day (but their section backs onto my field so anythings possible)

just trying to make my bunnies lives as best a possible so need lots of advice !

My buns run free and as a child all those did too. I am always there though with them. If I go in, they come back in too.

With a run, left alone it's got to be absolutely like the Bank of England. No one in, no one out. It's hard to build a run that tough i would think, I wouldn't leave bunnies out when I went out in a run, too many dangers and the dangers get through wire in seconds.

Sorry to be bleak but a mistake can't be undone, that's how I live. 110% safe and then even safer!

If you back onto fields, I think there is a good chance that sooner or later a fox will catch a whiff of bunnies and will come to investigate - it would only take a few seconds for him to jump the fence and snatch a bunny, so I would definitely opt for the secure run scenario.

I do think it is possible to create a foxproof run, mine is created from the pwsgreenline panels which are very sturdy (although I do also have them covered over in smaller gauge mesh both to prevent a fox taking a swipe through with a paw, and to stop my littlest minx from squeezing through! Is there no way you can make a cover for the area, either as an entire top, or a frame with a hinged portion?

I have uncovered runs, but my garden is very secure. I think it is very hard to build a covered run that is big enough for a rabbit to run in. There will always be some degree of risk, but my opinion is that it is worth it to the rabbits as their quality of life is much higher this way. But each situation needs to be looked individually. Next to open fields will probably be riskier, although given that I have seen a fox on the path behind my house and spent lots of sleepless nights last autumn worrying about it, perhaps that doesn't make that much difference. The thing is how secure the area is. Mine has a high fence overhung by thick thorn bushes all round. Extra height and wobbly wire has been added to the gate to stop it being jumped.

The garden at the rescue is not as secure, not secure at all in fact :cry: , so for the moment all the rabbits are in enclosed runs there. I am planning to attempt to make it secure though as I hate locking them up. There is one area that is already fenced that can have extra wire added to make it much higher, which I will do as soon as I have the time and money to do it.

My view is that a hutch in a large enclosure is the ideal way to keep rabbits, but sensible and adequete security arrangements need to be in place to protect against predators.

I haven't ever used an enclosed run for my rabbits - they need far more space than that as they really love to run at top speed and binky about 3 foot into the air. They also seem to love going back to their hutch/shed, walking in, and then hurtling out of it at top speed - just because they can! They love it when the door's open :)

My garden's very secure, but I would never leave them while I went out or did the vacuuming or anything like that - If I did I would maybe have a clean house :roll: It takes me hours to supervise them all as they have to take turns in it - I go in the house for 10 mins when the group of girls are out, or Benny or Maa, having scouted for cats first (Benny's really scared of them) - but Tia's too small to leave for even a minute, as there's a sparrowhawk here, and I've seen it carry off quite a big bird.

With Tia I make it 'a break' get a drink and a comfy chair, a book (not that I read it as she's so entertaining to watch) and sit there for an hour or so - it's very relaxing, and I wouldn't stop and rest otherwise, so it's good to be forced to do so.

Main problem with leaving the girls for longer than an hour on grass is that they would be underground and impossible to get at after that time - Zinniea digs as if possessed the whole time she's on the grass - she doesn't graze like her sisters, or run or anything - just digs - she's usually vanished after an hour, and I have to fill the hole in, much to her disappointment.

Ive decided to use my new uncovered 'run' area BUT only when Im home (which is at least 6-8hrs per day). If Im going out they will have to stay in their hutch which is big.

hopefully this will give them a better - more natural life

I have put double galvanized mesh on my run and attached it to my hutch with padlock's if something got in I would be amazed!!!

Back