• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buck teeth

Ray

Young Bun
hi, the RSPCA called today to say they had discovered that the rabbit I have chosen has got buck teeth, they said they would sort her out initially but she will need regular vet care. I would appreciate any info & advice on this subjecy as really I havn't got a clue! :oops: Thanking you all in advance
Ray x 8)

/

If her teeth are badly mis-aligned they may need removing....or they may need regular trimming which can be very expensive as most vets will only do this under a GA....

If you feel you are unable to take on this Bun due to his/her ongoing dental problems PLEASE PM ME . I will take him/her as the RSPCA will not financially support long term dental treatment, if you get what I mean......

Janex

Thanks Jill, I will find out more before I bring her home. Thats if they let me have her - I did mention the size of my run but when I said that she will have free run of the garden also they said that would be fine so I will see how it goes :?
Do you think it would be fair of me to turn her down just because of her teeth?
Ray x

JCO said:
If you feel you are unable to take on this Bun due to his/her ongoing dental problems PLEASE PM ME . I will take him/her as the RSPCA will not financially support long term dental treatment, if you get what I mean......

Janex

Aww, Good on you Mate!! :D

Ray said:

That depends on whether if you can afford it financially, and emotianally. If not, Its not fair to take her on. If shes ur first bunny, I think i'd pass her over to Jane (purely for her experience, Im sure she'd get the best possible level of care with you) and get a slightly easier first bun :D , Becki xx

Ray said:
Ray x

It would be more unfair on the rabbit for you to take her on out of guilt knowing that you cannot give her the care she may need in the future. There are lots of rabbits out there that need forever homes, do find one that suits your ability (knowledge and finance).

Ray ..sadly if you do not take her on she may be PTS...but then it would no be good to take her on then not be able to afford her vet needs..
.. ..the vets at Nottingham are quite easy to get to and charge only approx £8 for teeth treatment...as said before she may be better with her front ones removed which will cost more intially but will then be and end to the treatment needed for her front ones.......are you very near me? If you are I can always book her in with mine and take her for her teeth checks but obviously I have not seen her and do not know the extent of the problem..

I have a bun with teeth probs its very worring most of the time and even more so with dentals so often,but he is worth it

waffles has had teeth problems, they were really bad aligned and curved.

the vets advised me to have them removed

so he had them done 2 weeks ago. the back top teeth have started to re-grow, but vet said to take him back in a month or so once the teeth have grown a bit more and she will do a continuation of the treatment so it wont cost as much.

for waffles to have his teeth removed it cost me £115, but that was including xrays which your bun might not need.

id consider having them removed - will prob be better for bun in the long run as he may have to have them out at some point anyway !! :)

hi, I am really struggling with this :( I feel guilty if I don't take her, but I am a new rabbit owner & not sure if I have the experience. However I keep thinking that if my rabbit developed problems I wouldn't just get rid of him so things like that should be irrelevant.
I am going to ring my vets later to find out the exact costs I am looking at & I will speak to the RSPCA later to find out the extent of her problems - then I will decide. I know that lots of you are truly dedicated & experienced bunny owners who would take her in a flash rather than leaving her to be put to sleep - so I feel the pressure is on a little bit :cry: I want to be sure because once I get her i will have her for life - I will & want to be fully dedicated.
Ray x

Ray..did you see my offer of taking her to vets with mine? If your vet always does a GA for teeth it will be expensive....so remember this offer stands

The first time alfie had them done it was free as my friend took him,but the next time he only went 3 weeks before they needed doing,but i got him neutered at the same time,8 weeks later they needed doing again and it was £55

I have a bun with serious teeth problem (Zippy), but I also have a rabbit with Buck teeth (Beatrix) :lol:

Beatrix has never needed any dental treatment, because even though her teeth are mis-allined, she keeps them trim on my wood work :lol: and of course lots of hay, but we keep an eye on them .

Zippy's teeth are a different matter, she has to have regular dentals, but it's her back teeth.

Ray said:
hi, I am really struggling with this :( I feel guilty if I don't take her, but I am a new rabbit owner & not sure if I have the experience. However I keep thinking that if my rabbit developed problems I wouldn't just get rid of him so things like that should be irrelevant.
I am going to ring my vets later to find out the exact costs I am looking at & I will speak to the RSPCA later to find out the extent of her problems - then I will decide. I know that lots of you are truly dedicated & experienced bunny owners who would take her in a flash rather than leaving her to be put to sleep - so I feel the pressure is on a little bit :cry: I want to be sure because once I get her i will have her for life - I will & want to be fully dedicated.
Ray x

Don't feel guilty! I think that if you feel it's a bit much for your first rabbit then don't take her on - and don't feel bad about it. I think someone else offered to take her on if you couldn't, didn't they? No one will think badly of you! Better to make a decision you feel comfortable with.

I think my vets only charge £3 for front teeth, but back teeth cost more. Although if all teeth are there and the bun is a hay eater you may not need more treatment after the initial one. It all depends on the bun.

Back