• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe plants- For combined run/nursery

Ok, so, we have a shadeclothed area that is coming out from one of our glass sliding doors that comes off the bunnies room. This was going to be a nursery so when people walk down the stairs they will see plants through the glass. It was never finished so plants never went in it. Dad suggested that when he does finish it that I could put a cat flap in the door, since the nursery will mean the door isn't fully usuable anyway, I could do a run inside the nursery. So my indoor bun could have some outdoor time with the constant option of going back indoors and without the heat/sun that he would get without the shadecloth. BUT dad still wants tyo put plants in there.

MY OPTIONS:

1. I was thinking of having a skinny double storey run so the plants could go around it and the closest ones could be safe herbs and such that could poke throught the wire and let him have a bit of a nibble/ I could give him some. This would also solve my problem of having to cover up all the treated timber dad used on the outside because he would never come in contact with it, it would be a totally separate cage it the middle, exept for the tunnel leading to the catflap, which still wouldn't come in contact.

OR...

2. I could give him a 1 storey run taking up the complete ground area and covering up all the treated timber along the outside, and have the plants on a wire shelf above or hanging, the only problem with this would be the leaves and stuff could and will fall so they would all have to be safe plants.

I like the idea of the first one because it would look good from inside through the glass becase there would be no visible wire because it would be surrounded by plants. But the second one would mean a bigger area to run around and plants wouldn't block out breezes and (as much) sunlight.

What plants could I put in there that would be safe for the bun/buns in moderation. Could herbs such as lavender grow around the wire and could he nibble on them when they poke through or are there certain parts or some herbs that buns can eat? Also what would be some good plants that aren't herbs or veggies that ar safe?

Told you it was complicated :lol:

:shock: too right :lol:

I like the first idea - like you say, falling leaves would be difficult to deal with.

Hello :D
My bunny eats lavender......i dont have a choice, she hops over the little fence gets in my garden and munches away :roll: little minx, i think i could build a 6 foot high fence around my plants and she would still manage to get in and munch :lol:
She also eats my conifer which im sure isnt very good for her!

firstly i would avoid having any plants that arnt bunny friendly anywhere near the hutch. in some cases just one leaf would be enough to kill your bun if he decided to eat it. :(
the following links all have plants that are attractive as well as having medicinal properties.

http://islandgems.net/herbalremedies.html

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/mgmh.html

please note that all dosage given in the second link is intended for an adult. obvious, but i will state this anyway...do NOT give the rabbit this quantity!

There is a relly good printable sheet on one of the topics. Hang on I will try and find it :D

It doesn't say lavender on the flower list :? but then again its hard to put everything. I really need some good bunny herb expert. I'm allowed to fill the whole nursery (well actually the nursery isn't that big) with just herbs and vegies so that solves alot of my problems. The only one left is, is it safe to let buns get to herbs still in the ground. Especially the flowers of some.

Back