• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I failed the RSPCA home check

LucyJK

Warren Scout
well title says it all :cry: Im really upset the reason is because my run (which is only 4ft x6ft) is too small it should be 5ftx7ft even though my hutch which is attached to the run at all times is the right size (and actually bigger than they recommend as double story 5ftx2ft)

so looks like Esmee wont be getting any company as hubby refuses to make another run and tbh I agree with him, i think mine is big enough plus the rabbits get to run in the house and garden (when supervised)

LucyJK said:
well title says it all :cry: Im really upset the reason is because my run (which is only 4ft x6ft) is too small it should be 5ftx7ft even though my hutch which is attached to the run at all times is the right size (and actually bigger than they recommend as double story 5ftx2ft)

so looks like Esmee wont be getting any company as hubby refuses to make another run and tbh I agree with him, i think mine is big enough plus the rabbits get to run in the house and garden (when supervised)

can you get to essex? i would rehome in that! :D

This seems a shame! If you are allowing them plenty of other exercise then I don't see what the problem is. Is there another centre you could go to? They don't all have such imoveable rules.

Oh that is such a shame, seems silly really as you offer them time to free run. It's not as though they are stuck in that hutch + run constantly! There will def be a rescue out there who will home a rabbit to you, try some more and don't give up! If we had rabbits (which we don't at mo, but hopefully soon!) I personally couldn't see a problem. What size bunny were you after?

Hope u find the perfect bun!

Nicola

I am really suprised by that. I would have thought 6 x 4 with a five foot double hutch would be perfectly acceptable. in fact it sounds perfect. My run is the same size as that and i passed a home check just fine when i adopted tess. She wasn't from the rspca though.

I'd try a Rescue :D They all have different rules & minimums. Some of my hutches are too small (smaller than yours) but my buns are hardly ever in them anyway. Cept Polly & Alfie - who have 6' by 7' permanent space (unlimited height), but choose to be in their 3'6" hutch in the corner all the time!!! (Door is open - they have a choice!)

Are there any other local rescues around that you could look at?

Seems a shame for you to have to keep your bunny on its own?

Sounds like a nice set up to me. Like others have said why not try a different rescue? Have a search around on here and the main rabbit rehome site and see if there are any bunnies you think would be right for Esmee. If you fall for one, contact the rescue and discuss your set up with them, if they aren't local we may even be able to help organise a bunny run for you.

That setup sounds ok to me if you are only after a small bun and they get run of the garden :D
Just go to a local rescue, you'll have to be home checked again but I'm sure you'll pass with that :D
Let us know how you get on :)

I've been thinking about this and im cross. The RSPCA are an organisation that put animals to sleep when they have no room and can't rehome them, yet Lucy was offering a suitable home but it wasn't good enough for them. I know the RSPCA do some great work but this situation seems out of order to me. Fair enough if the bun was a giant but the bun in question is a mini lop?

Aww that's such a shame. Your set up sounds fine to me, very much like mine (hope Jill doesn't say no now).

Like others have said, try another rescue.
It really makes me cross, cos there is a lovely bun down the round stuck in a 4 x 2 hutch 24/7 and the rspca won't do anything about that.

awww my gosh I am so sorry - I agree with everyone else... that go find a rescue or something... there's bound to be somewhere not to far from you that would accept you...
I think the Rspca would definately fail me if they have failed you! :s ... Doesnt mean we love our bunnies any less... jsut cos they think we have the wrong cage size! they dont know our bunnies like we do!
Hope all goes well next time round - dont give up hope!

I am not a fan of the rspca, we had a bunny from them 4 years ago, she came from a litter of 6 and when we went to collect her they told us she had been to the vets and had a slight bend in her spine and she was being put to sleep and would we like to choose anther rabbit! I kicked up such a stink that we came away with her.We went to our vet who said it is not a problem at all :evil: .They have turned down friends of ours on homechecks when they have provided ample space for them,they are money hungry.

I am shocked and so upset for you that they have turned you down. :shock: Your set up sounds fine and much much more than a lot of bunnies ever get.

I am not an argumentative person but if it were me I would 'question' their decision.

Please dont give up, there are so many bunnies out in need of a caring home.

The RSPCA do really earn their bad reputation at times.

I'd agree on the 'money hungry' bit :evil: Notice they only make an effort to save animals if it's newsworthy - ie will pull in donations.

I think it's LUDICROUS and very irresponsible of them to refuse to home a bunny to a setup like yours - sounds brilliant to me! Please don't be put off by it - You may have to accept the decision of that particular branch manager, but there are hundreds of other rescues would be delighted with what you are offering - And the RSPCA can't even do maths, since the extra 10 square foot of hutch you have makes up for the shortfall of 10 square foot (almost) in the run size - what complete idiots they are! :x

I know you must feel so hurt and disappointed :( It makes me really angry that some power mad little hitler is getting a kick out of controlling this situation :evil:

try not to be upset, my local RSPCA wouldn't even consider me as a home for a bunny as I had young children...even though I made it clear the rabbit was for me, not for the kids. I already had Bunny, and wanted to find him a friend. They didn't even suggest any rescues who might have different rehoming policies, and as I hadnt then heard of rabbit rehome or this site, or any rescues, I went to a pet shop to get Flossie (I know better now, but at the time I knew that Bunny was lonely and needed company, but didnt know how else to achieve that).

If you are a good bunny mummy and care for your bunny/ies approriately then I think that should be all that matters

thanks guys. feel very sad as i really liked the bunny i had chosen. but i will search for another one ! although was tempted just to go to a pet shop - but would prefer to get one from a rescue

I won't support the RSPCA anymore, and their collectors know not to call at my house now.

I too have been turned down by the RSCPA b'cos I already had 7 buns :shock: In their words 'You don't need anymore' :x

They failed in their duty to remove obviously neglected rabbits, at least two died as a result of them being petty :cry:

Back