• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies....dilema

tinkerbell

Mama Doe
Hi all,
My name is Helen, and i ave just registered.
I have recently had 2 rabbits,a male and a female, however my partner was told they were both female when he got them.
Apparantly Theo te boy is too young too be castrated, and has been mounting Keira the female, i have purchased seperate cages, but the female has been etting lonely, and quiet and i let them play together,however he ruins it by getting frisky.
Theo is a dutc, and is always extremely lively and boistrous, does anyone have any ideas until castration what to do, to prevent keira becoming lonely?
Its hard work entertaning them both seperately! Thankyou

Well, I believe that IS old enough for them to be nuetered. That would definitely be the easiest option. You should really get them both "done" as it will be benefitial to the females health (there's another thread about neutering and female cancers) and it should make the whole process easier. Keeping them in seperate cages in the ,meantime sounds like a plan. You can put them side by side so that they can see and smeel each other in the meantime.

Spacegirl said:
Well, I believe that IS old enough for them to be nuetered. That would definitely be the easiest option. You should really get them both "done" as it will be benefitial to the females health (there's another thread about neutering and female cancers) and it should make the whole process easier. Keeping them in seperate cages in the ,meantime sounds like a plan. You can put them side by side so that they can see and smeel each other in the meantime.

Ok,its just i have seen 3 vets all who said his 'testes' have not yet dropped, and therefore its unsuitable to castrate.
I was debating getting a female to keep the female company, but am unsure?
Also do you have any advice on why the male is sooo hyperactive,he constanly sprints around and hops lots... thnks :)

Why not get the female spayed then? If you get two females and they are not spayed you may get fighting as does can be very territorial (mine is!), plus the buck would still be on his own.

Spacegirl said:
Why not get the female spayed then? If you get two females and they are not spayed you may get fighting as does can be very territorial (mine is!), plus the buck would still be on his own.

ok il enquire,thankyou, its the first time i have had rabbits before, and they so adorable :)

That's great advice, if you were to get your girly speyed they could stay together and keep their bond.
I agree with spacegirl about not getting another girly, the manly bun would be alone and the ladies may fight if they are not speyed.
Let us know how it goes :)

animusuk said:
That's great advice, if you were to get your girly speyed they could stay together and keep their bond.
I agree with spacegirl about not getting another girly, the manly bun would be alone and the ladies may fight if they are not speyed.
Let us know how it goes :)

yeh thanks,its just really triky because when i let keira out, and tho in his bed, keira lies next to his hutch just to be near him..
they are so in love, snuggle up together etc, they are both sleepng together in my house at the mo..

Even if they are only together for little "plays", your female could well be pregnant. I would keep them completely separate until at least one of them is neutered/spayed at least.

Angie65 said:
Even if they are only together for little "plays", your female could well be pregnant. I would keep them completely separate until at least one of them is neutered/spayed at least.

really? because when the are loose, theo is not interested in keira in that way, its ony when they are kept together? its strange.. :)

tinkerbell said:
Angie65 said:

really? because when the are loose, theo is not interested in keira in that way, its ony when they are kept together? its strange.. :)

It's unforunate but it's true.
It only take a moment or two

tinkerbell said:
Angie65 said:

A male can impregnate a female when he's as young as 12 weeks of age. If he's humping, he's old enough. They can also have 12 babies & it takes about a second for the female to get pregnant & they can get pregnant again within 24hours of giving birth. I think an "undescended" male can be neutered but the op is a lot more invasive. There's a reason for the phrase "at it like rabbits!!". Seriously - be careful!

Angie65 said:
tinkerbell said:
Angie65 said:

A male can impregnate a female when he's as young as 12 weeks of age. If he's humping, he's old enough. They can also have 12 babies & it takes about a second for the female to get pregnant & they can get pregnant again within 24hours of giving birth. I think an "undescended" male can be neutered but the op is a lot more invasive. There's a reason for the phrase "at it like rabbits!!". Seriously - be careful!

ok thanks for the advice they are now seperate lol :)

she's quite likely pregnant if she's 6 months isn't she? I'd get her spayed ASAP, unless you can keep all the babies as we've had 2 litters on forum from rabbits that mated through the cage bars! :shock:

elve said:
she's quite likely pregnant if she's 6 months isn't she? I'd get her spayed ASAP, unless you can keep all the babies as we've had 2 litters on forum from rabbits that mated through the cage bars! :shock:

really...through the bars,oh god, il get her done, i went on hols till y.day and they went 2 a bunny boarding centre in seperate hutches but the lady didnt think she was pregnant, u know when the bunnies mate, is it natural for the female to try pull away and escape, silly question but concern... :roll:

Yes and no, she could still be pregnant unfortunately.

Welcome to the forum by the way, can we see some piccies of your buns?

Gem said:
Yes and no, she could still be pregnant unfortunately.

Welcome to the forum by the way, can we see some piccies of your buns?

its not an issue if she is pregnant, but it needs to be resolved,lol, yeh il try upload pics, i dont have a digital camera here...

Male buns can be neutered from 14 weeks if his testicles have dropped, otherwise you have to wait until they do.

Most vets will spay at 6 months but in an emergency many vets will do earlier.

Are you certain, he's a he?

I kept my two seperate but next to each other and they kept their bond.

They did also manage to produce a litter of kits too :roll: they were only together for a matter of seconds :shock:

You'll soon find out if shes pregnant, rabbit pregnancy lasts for 28-31 days.

Back