• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lavender Sawdust

loulouembers

Warren Scout
Sorry if it has been covered before... :oops:

I was told that lavender sawdust keeps the flies away and wonder who has found this to be true.

Would need some ideas of where to get it too!

And the cost?

Louisa

I would be more tempted to buy one of the natural herbal products like Dynamite and apply it to the outside of the hutch/cage.
Essential oils have a very strong smell to them and I imagine this would be even worse to small animals with a strong sense of smell, and even worse when it's right under their nose permanently.

thay sell it at pets at home, not sure how much it is but would be on there web site
hth
i have used it once as a friend gave me some and it smells lovely x

It's a concentrate of essential oils, you dilute it and apply. It can actually be used on the animals but again I don't think it would be too pleasant for the animal to have a strong smell lingering around them with no chance of escaping it, so I've used it around the crates and will use it around the sheds when the buns are outside.
www.bunnybasics.net sell it (think I should get some commission from these guys :lol: )

the one my local petshop sells smells nice to..from a long way away! :(
they also sell a lemon and a rose sented one and all of which are very strongly scented. i you decide to use them i would mix the scented shavings with just the plain ones to 'dilute' the scent a bit.

I can't imagine how headache inducing that stuff would be in my room with me, let alone for the poor bun who has to have it's face in it all day. I hate scented stuff :lol: .

I personally wouldn't use it, it can make them ill and any changes in smell etc make buns grumpy. You may just be giving them an excuse to bite you! I'd use seomthign around the hutch to stop flies, then you won't be changing anything in the rabbits environment.

Back