• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging.

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
I have finished building the run now. Once the buns are ready to go in it, how worried do I need to be about them digging out? They will not be left in there all the time, so I will be around to keep an eye on them. How quickly could a rabbit dig it's way out? I'm not keen to put wire on the ground as I don't think it would be nice on their feet.

Giving them a tunnel to play in and other things to keep them busy will make them less likely to start digging, although it won't guarantee it.

Rabbits can dig extremely fast when they want to, so if you are particularly worried then you could put down paving slabs on the floor of the run.

As soon as I let my girls out they start digging - it's fun! :p They're not trying to dig out, but just enjoy digging - if it looks like their planned tunnel may go under the fence, I put a brick there and fill the hole up, and they go dig elsewhere - I let them dig for an hour, by which time the tunnel is about a foot deep - can't feel the end with my foot anyway! They never have longer than an hour at a time anyway, as they have to share the garden with the other rabbits, that don't dig much at all (they have a little go but not serious digging like the 4 girls do) Actually it's mainly Zinniea that is the digger - the others take a polite interest in her work, and dabble a little in tunnel digging, but she's a professional! :)

And then I fill it all up again and kick it down with my wellies - great fun! :D And we do it all again the next day...

ive actually been quite lucky with my buns

none of them dig :D :D :D

fudge did a few times when he was younger but its strange that NONE of them do now - i dont know why???? Each bun spends atleast 5 hours outside until i have to swap them over so other buns get to go out.

Flopsy and Mopsy loved to dig holes all last summer . over the winter we have used straw in the pens so they not on mud all the while as they are in the pen all day and no digging at all, they tunnel under the staw but no dug holes . roll on summer whne we can get the slabbing done.

I must admit I have been so blessed!
Mine is a little princess! she hates being dirty! So therefore she never digs- well not yet lol!
But I have a feeling I am not going to be so lucky when she gets a boyfriend! :s

My 2 are professional diggers too. :lol: In fact, their previous owner told me that was why she gave them away - because they kept escaping. I am going to have to get some mesh for the bottom of their run, as otherwise they just aren't going to be able to stay out on the grass for as long as they ought to be able to.

Back