• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

morning after pill?

Hopping_mad

Young Bun
Hello, seems i may have a problem. we've got a boy and girl rabbit just over 5 months old. They are kept in separate playpens next door to each other till he gets done (which is booked for next friday). However it seems he got wind of our evil plan and decided to have some fun before then - I just got home to find him in her enclosure with both of them looking extremely guilty :shock: . It would seem he spent the morning learning how to scale the dividing wall. seems im going to have to get a much higher fence!!
ive separated them again and they both appear to be fine , no bites or scratches (so much for worrying about whether they will bond okay) but im guessing her chances of being pregnant are fairly high. i remember reading somewhere that if we get her spayed we can avoid an unwanted litter but im worried she is too young. our vet has only just agreed to do him after initially saying we had to wait to at least 6 months.
if it is okay , how many days after can it still be done (bank holiday weekend and all)?

and if anyone got any ideas how i can ensure they stay separated?

thanks for your help

the best thing would be to get her speyed asap, does are pregnant for approx 4 weeks so you can get her done at any time during that period but obviously the sooner the better for the sake of the rabbit. i would get her booked in preferably this week, no later than next. we neuter rabbits from 5 months so she isnt really too young to do, i would imagine your vet will have no problems with doing her if its to stop her having a litter.

If you regard this as an emergency, and go to a vet that works with one of the rescues on here, they will spay at 5 months as they are more experienced than your average vet.

Sorry to hear about this - you must have been mortified when you saw them together. I must admit that I can't imagine what their 'guilty' expressions might have looked like! :lol:

Hope you can get her spayed soon.

Pregnancy at 5 months is probably no better for her than spaying. If possible find a vet that is experience enough to be comfortable with spaying at 5 months though :)

Tam

Hopping_mad said:
Hello, seems i may have a problem. we've got a boy and girl rabbit just over 5 months old.

Luckily, 5 mth. is an excellent time frame to spay (neuter) the boy and the girl. 6 mth. is the max., and you don't want to drag on longer than 6 mth. My rabbit was spay when she's 5 mth. old.

Back