• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do we go from here? - A bonding dilemma

KateCo

Warren Scout
The story so far...
Cara came to us from Elaine's rescue and I'm in the middle of bonding her to Sebastian. Started off in neutral territory with much running in circles and flying of fur but nothing nasty. Moved Cara's cage into the sitting room where Sebastian has a pen. Still much running in circles and flying of fur but still nothing nasty. Eventually it got into a kind of routine..Cara can only come out of her cage when we open the door but Sebastian could get in and out of his pen whenever he liked. We'd let Cara out, she'd go straight for Sebastian, they'd both fly round the room in circles until Sebastian got bored and jumped back in his pen for a rest. Cara would look quite put out and go back in her cage for a rest and a sulk. Every morning we came down and Sebastian would be out of his pen and sat next to Cara who was locked in her cage. (So they'd have the wires of the cage between them) So we decided to be patient and let them get on with it.
Anyhow! ( Sorry this is so long) Yesterday amidst the usual circling/fur flying, Cara managed to pin Sebastian down behind the sofa. I went over to make sure they were okay and she growled at me :shock: She then started grooming Sebastian and growled everytime I went near.
Sebastian didn't look that impressed to be honest and they eventually seperated again.
So what do I do now? Should I continue to just leave them to it? Most of the time, Sebastian sits under the table and ignores her and Cara runs around the room chinning everything in sight.
I'd really like to get them both into Sebastian's pen if that's possible, but if Cara is better keeping her own space I'm happy to go along with that.
Advice please!

As far as I know, if you keep seperating them, bonding takes much longer - you should only seperate them if they draw blood - and you should of course bond them in neutral territory so no-one feels defensive. If they are getting on well somewhere neutral, like your bathroom where neither has been before, then you should leave them there for a couple of days, checking up regularly to make sure they are OK with each other still. Then when you put them into the place they will be living together permanently, make sure that you redecorate it, refresh vinyl, clean and scrub like mad first, so that it doesn't smell of the bunny that lived there first.

Well I guess - never done bonding as I'm such a coward :roll:

Thanks Elve, I think I'll take the plunge and put them together for a couple of days. Might as well do it now whilst I'm off work to oversee it.
Wish me luck!

Once they are together I would not keep separating them. If they look a bit agitated with each other you could try taking them for a ride in the car. They would probably snuggle up to each other for comfort and develop a better relationship from that.

Once I put rabbits together I don't separate them unless they seriously fight and it looks as if they are not compatible, then I leave it and try them with somebunny else. I will supervise them until I feel they are safe. If I have to do something and I am not comfortable leaving them I take them with me in a carrier.

Back