• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argghhhh.. Need advice on Two bonded males

kjenkins

New Kit
Hello (sorry if this has been discussed in the past!)

My two males rabbits are extremely close. They will be two on the 22nd April. Whilst most things in the rabbit household are loving, with plenty of grooming and laying down next to each other, recently things have become a bit unbarable for poor Shearer.

OK. A bit of background. I had them neutered when they were 6 months old. Before the chop, Shearer was the dominant one, he'd chase Shoula around the bedroom (they are house rabbits). After the op, things calmed down, until about a month ago.

Now, the role has been reversed and poor shearer perminantly has Shoula on his back, his nose, his side. He is being humped left, right and centre and just seems to be taking it.

I spoke to the animal psychologist at my vets, who suggested that I invest in a water pistol and spray Shoula everytime he humps Shearer. After two hours of humping and spraying, this didn't seem to be any affect.. in fact I think that Shoula actually liked the water (he was dripping wet by the end of it, and just sat there licking himself down - I'm sure he did this to wind me up :)

My next phone call to the psychologist suggested that I buy a tube or put a small box that Shearer could hid in the cage - luckily Shearer realised that Shoula could not hump him whilst he was in it! First shoula spent about an hour running round and round the tube. I thought that this had solved the problem, but now all Shoula does is nip Shearer on the tail, and out shearer comes. This I thought was a bad thing as it was encouraging biting.

My third phone call to the psychologist and this time she suggested I make a load noise to startle him. I've tried everything. Clapping hands, shouting, stamping, throwing keys at the cage side, I even tried the hairdryer.. Shoula just looked at me as if to say "Mmm, nice breeze to cool me down after all this hard work humping!!!"

They are so close that I want to try and stop this behaviour before Shearer gets so annoyed that he turns around and attacks Shoula. Is there any thing else that I can try other then seperating them, an outcome that would break my heart if I had to do :(

HELP!
(P.S. Sorry again if someone else has already had this problem!)

I am fairly new to rabbits! But, just as a thought, could you rub some sort of strong sent onto the submissive bun that would maybe put the other one off? Not sure what. Don't know if that helps much?!

it could just be a phase he is going through.

i have 2 bonded males, both neutered and sometimes they have their ups and downs - chasing each other round and round the cage. at the end of it they still sit there and wash each other.

have they enough toys and space to run around inside their hutch/cage? do they have hide-e-holes, cardboard boxes one could retreat to?

i too have tried the water and ended up with a dripping wet bunnie. it didnt make a blind bit of difference and she to started to wash her face - although i had to laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think if they do start being really aggressive they will have to be seperated. but maybe keep their hutches / runs close together so they dont loose the bond and you may be able to retry.

missblondebunny said:
it could just be a phase he is going through.

i have 2 bonded males, both neutered and sometimes they have their ups and downs - chasing each other round and round the cage. at the end of it they still sit there and wash each other.

have they enough toys and space to run around inside their hutch/cage? do they have hide-e-holes, cardboard boxes one could retreat to?

i too have tried the water and ended up with a dripping wet bunnie. it didnt make a blind bit of difference and she to started to wash her face - although i had to laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think if they do start being really aggressive they will have to be seperated. but maybe keep their hutches / runs close together so they dont loose the bond and you may be able to retry.

I can't understand why it was all peaceful, and then just recently it has got really bad (as nothing has changed!!) I could understand if they did this every so often, but they haven't since they were neutered :(

They have the flat to run around when I am home, and when I am not, they have a home made cage which is made up of two large puppy pens.

With regards to the set up and toys. They have different height levels, the tube, boxes, and lots of different toys (they are very spoilt rabbits with their toys!!

Spacegirl/ Thanks for the suggestion, wouldn't know what I could use. And knowing my rabbits, whatever it was - they would probably really like the smell :)

it might just be the Spring - longer daylight hours increase hormone levels in rabbits, even neutered ones.

one of my group of 4 girls is constantly humping another of the group - As long as Victoria doesn't mind, and she can hop into a litter tray or up onto a box to get away, I leave them to it. She seems to be doing it a bit less now, after a month - Victoria had a bald spot on her back before, from being constantly 'ridden' by her sister. But she didn't seem bothered, just used to hop along with Petunia on her back :?

You might find that changing their territory is what triggers it - do they do it more when you let them out of their pen or is it a constant thing? Do they only do it when you are there? Maybe he's jealous of you if you fuss Shearer more, feeling sorry for him - What you should do is fuss the top bunny and ignore Shearer - bunny etiquette!

My girls also mount and nip whenever they think it's food time - so if I appear and it's near tea time, they start chasing each other - and only stop when they realise I have nothing for them to eat. Maybe if you only feed them at a strict time, and no treats, they will realise that there's nothing to get competative over?

Oooh they're complicated critters :)

I thought about the spring thing, but they weren't like this last spring!

The Humping is all of the time. Whether it is in my bedroom, the kitchen, in their cage. Shoula finds it harder when they are out and about around the flat as I have Laminate floors so he cant catch up with Shearer (shearer seems to have no problems on slippery surfaces!). There doesn't seem to be any particular time of the day that is worse. It's just constant..

They have quite a strict routine with food when I am at home. They get their Western Timothy first thing in the morning, and then have the excel pellets after Home & Away... 6.30ish (I know!!!!) and then when I put them away at night, they get a little treat. They never act differently if I break the routine, or at least I haven't noticed them acting differently :)

With regards to showing each of them attention, Shoula is the most affectionate and will come and lay next to me and lick my face. He lays on his side and chatters his teeth. Shearer on the other hand will come if he wants to, but doesn't really like cuddles. He prefers to lay next to my feet. In my bedroom, shoula will run around and jump up and down on the bed, exploring everything, whereas Shearer will sit on my pillow watching TV for the two hours they usually spend in with me before I put them away for the night.

Definately complicated critters :) Maybe I am just getting more upset and frustrated than Shearer is, and I shouldn't let it get to me so much!!!

It sounds to me as if Shoula is in love with you, and is trying to remind Shearer that you belong to HIM alone? :? It's only really a problem if Shearer gets stressed by it though - it's normal for bunnies to have a pecking order, and you are an honorary bunny by the sounds of it :)

Hi there, I have 2 bonded boys too! They do this alot, as do a bonded brother anmd sister I have.Its hard but try not to worry too much. Rabbits ey, who'd have em!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's reassuring to know that mine arent the only rabbits who do this :? I've only ever had single rabbits, so this was a bit worrying to me! Thanks everyone!

Back