• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat grass

tomjacob

Banned
I have just been planting up my cat/bunny grass and it's such a small packet i have to buy loads to do several trays for outside and in.

Is this just normal grass seed with a different name? Now that Spring is here and we're in the garden where sadly moss grows instead of grass despite annual returfs, I am planting so much that it is expensive and a pain all these packets! Can I just buy a big bag or a few scoops from Wilkos instead? I never begrudge money on my animals but I do if I'm ripped off and I just can't get the niggling feeling away that I'm being taken advantage of......sort of like buying animal olive oil when my salad stuff is better quality and cheaper anyway! (I say that as today in a pet shop and mentioned hairballs and olive oil and the lady said they sell animal olive oil. I said that my extra virgin was probably alot better quality and I'd stick with that).

Pretty much yes :D

I think seed trays with normal grass would work out cheaper.

I know there is something you have to watch out for in grass seed but I can't flipping remember what it is :?

I'm doing the same as you - spending loads buying refills for my cat grass for the bunnies and piggies. They seem to be different types of grasses to the grass in the garden, but I don't know what they are. :?

The packet I sowed today was from Wilko and contains

Avena Sativa

I've looked this up on google and it's 'wild oats'. (I could say something about how sad it is to sow wild oats from seed packets but beggers etc).

Presumably that means that cat grass is different to turf. Does that mean normal grass isn't OK? I don't think so as we all let bunnies onto or lawns no worries. I imagine that the only difference is the speed it grows but not certain, will have to keep trying. Jacob and Mrs C don't nibble, they annihalate by pulling out the roots so it doesn't last long. Something a little hard wearing would be good as my poor cats don't get a look in as Mrs C hogs them!

Interesting. :) Cat grass definitely smells different to normal grass. There is never enough to go round here - even the mice love it (although they only get a couple of blades each! :lol: )

Back