• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering, and jabs cost thesis !

tonyfoster

Young Bun
Our newly rescued male needs his neutering as well as jabs.

However its a case of known and used vet vs pet vaccination (who we used once before for our first rabbit, which turned out ok).
The costs are big in difference, especially if you include the top up jabs as well.
Any arguments as to why jabs and neutering might be best performed by local vets instead ?

At pet vacc I think its £15 both jabs per rabbit (x3 = £45 - our new rabbit plus topups for our existing 2), then we are looking at neutering, rabbits are £25. All ex vat. So around £80.
If you factor in petrol, we are probably looking at around £110.

I think the local vets is at least that per jab, plus neutering is likely to be around £60+. We still have to drive to that too so it probably costs £10 or so.
Thus a total of approx £170 at least (probably a difference of £80, or more not to be sneezed at really).

However, I don't always like to operate thinking of just costs alone, otherwise we'd never have bothered owning rabbits in the first place! having said that unfortunately, many people can't make this distinction and still have them pidgeonholed along with goldfish etc.

Anyway thats quite a difference in money, but perhaps not necessarily if a vet was better recommended...or what.

Aside from cost alone, are their any other perspectives on good reasons to use the local, knowledgeable vet for such things vs. the pet vaccination clinic? General experiences or general advice etc.

I don't want to fire up a public debate on the pros and cons of the consultative options in detail, just a general idea or recommendation on how to best go forward without publically upsetting anyone !!

Cheers

I always think that vets win as the products will be 100% , application should be good, the healthcare check is from a trained professional as is best. Any other points or issues can be raised and dealt with appropriately.

I think the vaccinations provide time with the vet for general enquiries and most importantly an opportunity for them to see your animal. If you see the same vet, the vet to a degree has knowledge of your animal so when you go in saying thet you don't know what's wrong but something isn't right, the vet will know more as he/she will have had a relationship before with your animal.

Less stress to always go to the same place for the animal too, vets are less 'In, Out, Next please' that clinics i presume too.

I only have a vet to go to, but would always go to the same vets as remember this is about health not money. I know we aren't made of money but it's no use trying to get cheap health care in my view as something makes it cheap and it may be experience and service.

Vaccinations are part of the deal, to be factored in to the cost of an animal as you said. Peace of mind can't be bought so for me the price of building up a relationship with a vet, both for me and my animal is worth a few pounds.

A few years ago my darling Eric cat was very ill. He was treated by a partner at the vets I go to. One day I nipped out for shopping and my neighbour found me in the CO-OP and said to come home as Eric had collapsed. We rushed him to the vets, wrapped in a towel, crying on my lap. It was lunchtime and when the vet came through it was Erics vet. Eric was pts but the vet said upon seeing him how sad he was as he had been hopeful Eric would be OK and he was a 'lovely old boy'. This relationship cannot be bought. The vet put Eric on my lap, on a towel and left me, poppoing in every so often to see how we were as Eric took a long time to do, 'a fighter' the vet said.

To this day, the worst day ever was slightly better as it was my vet by fate or luck, my Dad said the angels looked after me. Eric must have felt better too as he was blinded by a stroke or hammeorage but he could hear Nicks voice.

Sorry to get sad but this is part of the service you get at the vets, part of the money goes to the undertstanding of you and your animals and one day you may need that as I did. It's easier to do hard things if you trust them, so whilst the sun is shining build the relationship so when Winter comes it is there if you need it.

I know, and trust my vets. I have never used anywhere other than there, but given the choice, I would opt for my vet regardless of the cost. However this is based on the fact that they know my rabbits health history, they know me, and they know from seeing us on a regular basis when something isn't quite right.

I know that vaccs and neutering may not be the same as say dental work for example, but you still have to trust the person who will be operating on your bunny. Vets will usually be happy to talk you through their proceedures, go over any worries and tell you their sucess rates.

At the same time, it is still difficult to find a local vet who is good with rabbits sometimes. I guess there are pro's and con's as always, and having only ever used my vets, I can't really comment too greatly, other than what I, and tomjacob have already written. :D

maybe if you put your location up, someone local to you may be able to suggest a vet that they recommend for rabbit care.
My vet isnt the cheapest in the area.. i didnt even bother to ring round i just asked Cheryl who runs a rabbit/guinea pig rescue near to me what vet she recommended seeing as she has lots of rabbits treated and spayed/neutered i thought that would mean the vet would have plenty of rabbit experience.. and so far ive not been dissappointed.
You could always ring your local rescue and ask them what vets they use

Well, we currently go to one near Northants at the moment and I have every confidence in the vet practice, just we used P.V.Clinics before and they seemed very professional and helpful. Was referred there originally under reference from a rescue.

Although the personal vet we consulted in the past has moved on, the senior partners seem very with it. It was purely a comparison to start with on the basis of cost but there are factors that cannot be ignored about the kind of care you would hope or expect to get I guess, or just a trust thing.
In this case it could be argued each way since, the personal vet we were using has moved on although you'd expect the practise to run and understand at the same level.

Hard call but I'm tempted on advice to go the vets route to build the trust aspect, since all 3 will be going there. The senior partner who examined him today seemed to really know what he was doing with teeth etc.

On a different note. I think our new acquaitance un-neutered male might have been a bit excited on my lap, judging by the odd marks. And some VERY pungent odours too :oops: :lol:

The sooner the better hes done!!! It might help calm him a lot on experience too, might even get on with other bunnies longer term.

Back