• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to put them outside overnight?

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
My family of 4 currently live in my conservatory in a hutch which is a tad on the small side for them, well I think it is anyway (5ft double but its only 19inc deep) I have a huge hutch in the garden which would give them loads of space. I have been putting them out there for the day if it's warm enough.

What I'm wondering is if it would be ok to leave them outside overnight yet?

The conservatory has no heating in so they are not used to a warm centrally heated enviroment but it's not quite as cold as being outside. There is 4 of them living together so they could snuggle up and keep each other warm. The babies are now nearly 10weeks old.

Any opinions?????

Conservatories do get pretty cold at night. I should think that the conservatory was colder at night in winter than it is outside at night now.

I think they'll be OK - just give them plenty of straw for them to snuggle into - and, like you say, they have each other too! :D

yes I think they'll be fine at the moment - I put tiny nethie Tia out on her own in Feb (I think?) after a warm spell :roll: And she seemed perfectly happy during all the cold weather - always chose to sit in her run and loved skipping about the patio - I gave her so much hay in her bed she was swamped!

My 2 that I took in in March were probably used to being outside anyway, but they also seem to prefer being in their run outside than cooped up in the hutch part. I still pull their hutch cover down at night, but don't know if I really need to now

I put mine out ages ago after they have been living in the house, they just snuggle up together to keep warm and they seem a lot happier out there in a huge hutch

Ok so I guess I'm just a neurotic mother then! :lol: :lol:

Guess the worst thing is that I miss them! :oops: Ok so they're only in the garden but when they're indoors I talk to them all the time. Now they aren't going to get to see me quite so much and me them. :( I'm just so used to them being indoors I guess.

I will have to try and be brave and leave them out tonite! :roll: :D

Have been checking on them all day and they have been fine. Then my neighbour decided to have a big family BBQ, loads of noise and tons of smoke! Holly and Bluey looked so scared and had squished themself into a corner :( :shock: Holly was that scared she let me pick her up! :shock:

Have been checking on them for about 2 hours and they've not got any better, if anything they've got worse so I've brought them back inside :(

I guess I'm gonna have to let them get used to outside for a bit longer before I leave them overnight. :?

aww - poor babies - it is really noisy outside compared to indoors - took a couple of weeks for my rabbits to get used to it and settle down and look at home out there :)

Could you tunnel through the conservatory wall and link indoor hutch with the outdoor hutch? I alwasy thought that would be quite a cool way to house bunnies but possibly not that practical to do :oops:

Tamsin said:
Could you tunnel through the conservatory wall and link indoor hutch with the outdoor hutch? I alwasy thought that would be quite a cool way to house bunnies but possibly not that practical to do :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Great Idea!!! Not sure my landlord would go for it though!! :lol: :lol:

Back