• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What veggies do you feed your bunnies?

Ray

Young Bun
Hi, just wondering what veggies you feed your rabbits? I generally just give mine carrots & cauliflower leaves. He doesn't like broccoli, apples, turnips, swede. He doesn't eat hay & he picks at his food! What a fussy little devil! :twisted: He absolutly loves raisins but I only give him these as a treat cos I am not sure if he can have too many? Can he eat Basil? Any new food suggestions would be great, also any recommendations for good rabbit food & hay (maybe I'm just not buying the right stuff :? )

thanks alot Ray :D

Hiya
Dark leafy greens are good.
Carrot tops
Basil
Parsley
Celery
Kale
I only feed carrots occassionally cos they have a high sugar content. Same applies to fruit.
Sugar in a buns diet = :no: :wink: So one raisin only VERY occasionally I would have thought!!
Timothy Hay is popular with some buns.
Hay bought from an Equine Feed Supplier is usually of much better quality than that bought from a pet shop. It is also MUCH cheaper!!
Grass is important in a buns diet. You can also feed dried grasses such as 'Redigrass'
Science Selective Pellet Feed is apparently very good (though mine wont eat it :roll: they have a TINY portion of Excel Pellets)
The pellet feeds are better than the cereal ones as they prevent selective feeding. IE Bunny only eating the tastey bits and leaving the bits that are often more nutritionally beneficial :roll: :roll:
Natural food such as dandelion leaves, Blackberry leaves,bark of fruit trees are all good for Bunnies.
Hope some of this helps!!
Janex

basil
broccoli
brussel sprouts
carrot tops
cauliflower leaves
mint
parsley
grass :lol: well it is a vegetable!

have also tried them on parsnip but even Piper only ate half of the piece I gave him and he eats anything!

Mine doesnt like carrots just the tops ... so I have to go buy the expensive stuff....
hmm
Parsley, she likes dill ohhh and loves corriander.
hmmmm brocolli - depending what shop LOL!
celery
hmm cant think of any others that anyone hasnt mentioned.

Aliandbuns said:
grass :lol: well it is a vegetable!

To be pedantic, grass is (surprisingly :lol: ) one of the grasses, not a vegetable.
:lol:

I try to vary mine a bit as they've been introduced on quite a selection of veg, so depending which shop I go to (local Tesco doesn't have much of a selection) they get different veg.
At the moment they have:
Carrots with tops
Cauliflower leaves (my rats get the actual cauliflower)
Curly kale (Mary can now have his fave now his kidneys have been given the all clear!)
Parsley
Celery
Pineapple (Joey and Rex are both moulting and I think Squishy is started so giving fresh pineapple to help prevent any blockages from hair)
Romaine lettuce

Hi I know you are in Leicester but not sure where...I get meadow hay by the bale form Claybrooke feeds.....it is fresh, smells lovely and the buns all love it. If you have somewhere to store a bale( they are not as big as you think! ) worth trying...they charge £3.90 for it and you can get it cheaper but it the nearest place to me...if you go ask for Meadow..not ordinary hay..they stock 2 qualities...
Then it's just a matter of being firm...VERY few pellets and piles of hay...he'll eat it when he's hungry....unless he is like my own Thistle who nearly starved herself rather than eat hay :oops: ..she has teeth probs as a result and needs regular burring.....so be firm and try to get him to eat it.......good luck.

SS would be a good pellet to get him , and his soon to be girlfriend onto. did you ask RSPCA what they are feeding her?
Ullesthorpe garden centre sell Science Selective but try to find somewhere else if you can i I don't like giving them trade..(.rabbits in with gunieas and bad advice to customers :evil: )

I use these sites as guides:
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html
http://www.carrotcafe.com/

My rabbits eat a lot of veggies, which I change slightly every week. These get fed the most often, and in the biggest amounts:
Green or red leaf lettuce
Romaine
Endive
Escarole
Cilantro
Parsley

And carrots and broccoli in small amounts, a few times a week.

And these are fed in lesser amounts, and not as frequently. That's mainly because they get tired of them if they eat too much.
Kale
Collard greens
Bok Choy
Carrot greens
Mustard greens
Dill
Dandelion greens

I'll have a garden this summer, including a yummy herb garden with basil, mint, and whatever else I decide to throw in there. :D

Spring Greens or Pointed/Sweetheart Cabbage
Brussel Sprouts
Broccoli
Celery
Parsely
Corriander
Mint
Basil
Carrots preferably with tops
Cauliflower

Occasionally

Apple
Pear
Banana
Pineapple

Mine get
Spring greens
watercress
rocket
green pepper
spinach (occasionally)
carrot tops
herbs
Romaine lettuce
celery

Thats basically what they love to eat (although willow would probably eat anything)

Mine love:
carrots, parsnip, celery, cabbage, kale, sprouts, rocket, lambs lettuce, spring greens, broccoli, cauliflour leaves, coriander, parsley, apple, grapes, banana (i only give them fruit about once a week as a treat)

Mine love carrot tops, kale, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, celery leaves, banana, blueberries, coriander, flat leaf parsley, grapes and sprouts.
They also love oats, grass and dandelions. Although both are very fussy and if they're in their run surrounded by loads of yummy grass they won't touch it yet if they're indoors and I pick some and bring it to them, they adore it! Lazy buns :lol:

Thanks alot everyone, you have certainly given me some extra ideas. Thanks Jill I will try and find that place the hay sounds cheap, we have a garage so storage isn't a prob.

Does depend on the rabbit...Bindi loves the carrot tops, and the nice fruit and veg man always saves them. I mean its only us bunny lovers that want them.

Bindi also will leave the actually carrot, and just chew off the carrot top. She loves brocolli stalk and leaves, but leave the flowering bit. She likes Parsley and Rocket, and also any dark green leaves.

Maya also loves carrot tops, and the carrot chunk (he gets as a treat). He will eat anything apart from parsley and refuses to touch it.

Both Maya and Bindi love nothing more then to sit on the lawn eating loads of grass.

Back