• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Couple more questions on bun I'm boarding

Karly

Banned
The bun I'm looking after has trouble with a blocked tear duct - posted a thread about her yesterday.
The owner mentioned before I went that bun is fine having her eye fussed and 'picked' at - did wonder at the time what she meant as the eye looked clear other than being wet.
Today bun has a nice buildup of gunk around the bottom of her eye :? I've bathed it and about to put Vaseline on the skin underneath but think it's a bit late as it looks SO sore and is missing the fur :(
Also noticed that her eyelid looks slightly mishaped at the top, and looking at the inside it seems slightly raised and redder than the one on her normal eye :? Could this be linked to the tear duct problem or be something seperate (ulcer or something?)

My other worry is that one of her ears looks very dry and flakey and she's lost some of the fur on it. The other looks fine and I can't see any other fur loss or flakey patches on her. Could this be mites, and if so can my buns catch it? I've got some Ivermectin here I could treat her with, and some antifungal & antibacterial shampoo incase it's worth bathing it with that too?

Here's some photos incase they help

Her eye this morning:
eye.jpg

eye2.jpg

And her ear (the other ear is fine)
ear.jpg

Hello, sorry never read you originapost until now.

My Maya bunny has trouble with blocked tear ducts. We have worked its probably due to bad breeding, rather then a teeth problem. He eats fine and there seems to be nothing visibly wrong with his teeth. Maya has had his tear duct flushed a few times now. The first time it was so thick and the vet couldn't get the catheter in his left tear duct. He was put on antibiotics, and the tear duct flushed second time pefectly.Yep, sure Mayas' eyes won't get better, but i bath his eyes every day. He is in no obviously pain, and seems to have changed, from when he first came home. He seems very happy. I don't need to bath his eyes every day, now. But i do check them, and give him a little brush to make him look handsome.

Thats enough of me ribberting about my baby boy...

....the bunny you are looking after. Her eye does look sore. I am guessing the pics were taken before you bathed her eye, because the gunky bit? Looks like Mayas eyes looked like when i first brought him home. I would suggest that you bath the eye and dry it. You will then be able to see how bad it is tomorrow. If it is still the same and you are worried in a day or two speak to the owner and get it to the vet for a check up. It could have been a little stressed by the whole "boarding" experience.

Let us know how shes doing.

JIMGRACIE said:
....the bunny you are looking after. Her eye does look sore. I am guessing the pics were taken before you bathed her eye, because the gunky bit?

The pic was actually after bathing it and cleaning it up a bit :? But the gunk in the picture was quite solid and I was worried about pulling it off.
The owner did say to me she was fine having it picked up so it sounds to me like it does it frequently so not convinced it's just a stress thing.
If it wasn't for the fact that it's the Bank Holiday, I would get my vet to check her.
There is a chance she'll be collected Tuesday rather than Monday so if that happens I might just pop her in to see what they think - need to take my buns and rat in anyway so I'm sure if I get one of the vets I normally see they won't charge me to just take a quick look at her.

You can make the gunky stuff more gunky by warming it with warm water.

Are you using cotton wool to bath her eye? If so swap to a face cloth (flannel) I found that when i used cotton wool, Mayas eyes looked worse then ever. You could just comb through with a flea comb to get the gunky stuff off. Do it very gently!!

Okie Dokie. Two pics of Maya. The first is of Maya a few months back. You can still see his baldy ears from his anaesthetic, for castration. His left eye was the one that was really blocked. You can see what a scruff bug he looks.

PB270110.jpg

The second pic is Maya, just last Thursday. He was up to michief in the garden, and very promptly scampered under my nephews toy car. So not only does he look ten times better he feels ten times better too!!

P4050270.jpg

The third is not a great pic. Its a bit blurry, and Mayas has backed up into a corner and looks really grumpy with me for taking pics of him.

P4050264.jpg

Back