• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help against flystrike please!

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Hello
With the weather starting to get a bit warmer now (ok we've had one nice day but i'm hopeful! :) ) I was wondering what I could do to help protect my bunns against flystrike? I know about rearguard, but what else would help?
The lady at the rescue they came from uses frontline on hers.
I'm really quite worried about this as a rabbit I had when I was younger had to be PTS as it had fly strike and one of my bunns now, Bob has had a facial abcess and has problems cleaning himself- I clean his abcess wound every day and also check round his rear end. I have got him iodine and shampoo from the vets so i can give him a wash, but are there any other things i should look at doing also? I saw someone previously mentioned using citronella round their house (they live outdoors.)
Thank you!

there is a product i found out about today called Dyna-Mite.. it comes as a concentrate which u dilute and put in a spray bottle to use on bunny and hutch to help deter mites, flies etc..
You can get it from bunnybasics and other sites
If they are outside rabbits you could also try putting fly nets up the front of their hutch/runs if you are particularly worried about your bunny

well I think if your rabbit has a problem keeping clean, rearguard is a must! Other than that, just fly repellants that are sold for human use, fly papers etc. I sprayed mozzie repellant with DEET along the roof of my hutches today, but it only lasts a few hours. I used the air freshener type of block too, with citronella, from Wilkos.

Anyway, I would definitely get Bob rearguarded, if not the others, as he's most at risk - flies are unlikely to get a healthy rabbit.

I like useing zentex from the vet it acts much the same as rear guard. Another thing you could do is put netting over the cage so flies carnt get in the cage. Its grren and has very small holes not big enough to let the files get in, you can get it at most garden centers. Apart from that theres not much more you can do but keep him clean. val

Rearguard on the bun..net if possible across windows, lavender water wiped around window frames and litter trays deters flies..so my fosterer told me recently :D ...good old fashioned flypapers work well too.

I thought Advantage was the only treatment licensed for buns? Is Frontline OK then? I read somewhere about it the other day though no idea where. I also saw in the paper these plug in flykiller things that are harmless to pets but kill flies. If the buns are in an outhouse or shed with power these look good.

Just to clarify: PLEASE DON'T USE FRONTLINE ON RABBITS, IT CAN KILL THEM!!! (sorry for shouting but it's really important that everyone sees it!)

The problem with all the xenex/rearguard type things is that in effect they are pumping your bunny with toxic chemicals so are usually only recommended for bunnies that are at 'high risk', e.g. those who cannot clean themselves, are overweight, excess caecatrophs etc. You can never 100% avoid it but you can minimise the risks by keeping the buns areas very clean - daily cleaning of litter trays etc and taking steps to repel flies.

I will be "rearguarding" Treacle as she has so much fur and fluff she sometimes doesn't clean it all. I trim her fur as often and much as possible (only around her bum/tummy) and check her twice a day at least. I also keep an eye out for any "sticky poos".

AlisonA said:
Just to clarify: PLEASE DON'T USE FRONTLINE ON RABBITS, IT CAN KILL THEM!!! (sorry for shouting but it's really important that everyone sees it!)

I got my girls from Kirkby rescue and the lady there said she uses frontline and has never had a problem - got me right confused (as she did about spaying :roll: ) as I thought it was dangerous too :?

is bob martins spot on ok? i have purchased a few to use on barbie, just incase.

although her rear end is much better than it was before she was on a diet as now she has slimmed down, she can now clean her self properly.

for fly protection:-

my shed has a fly catching machine in, lots of spiders webs :shock: , and a strong mesh covering the top of the stable door when open so flies cant just wonder in. mint is good for keeping flies away. when outside in a run you could always cover it with a net curtain to stop those pests getting in.

heres the insect killer

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=011010015

mine is only used throughout the summer months when those flies just wont buzz off!!! :lol:

I don't think I'd even use frontline on a dog as a friend of mine's dog got very ill from it. I use rear guard when there are lots of flies around, they didn't like me doing it much, but because my buns are small I got three done from one packet (You're supposed to use one per bun, but they would have been sopng wet if I had and they were fine as they were)
Did you say you can get dynamite from bunnybasics? And it can be used on the animals?

I got my girls from Kirkby rescue and the lady there said she uses frontline and has never had a problem - got me right confused (as she did about spaying ) as I thought it was dangerous too [/quote]

I also got mine from Kirkby, so thats where I heard about it also. I did ask the rescue's vet about it and he was quite non-commital, saying its not licensed, but the lady at the rescue can do as she pleases.

Thanks for all your replies everyone, will stick with rearguard and use some of the other tips.

Okie dokie. I have started my investigations too!!

I have managed to get my dad to get me some fly screen material to go over the rabbit hutch mesh. My dads a superstar!!

Also got some fly strips for around my ferret court and piggy and bunny hutches.

But the other thing i am gonna do i check Maya and Bindi as often as i can, and clean them ickle smelly poops up as often as possible.

Back