• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving metacam oral or injection???q

bunnies

Alpha Buck
Which is the best way to give metacam via injection or by syringe?? I had Beebie on it before and it was by injection where off to the vets tomorrow about her back legs, and she made a good recovery before and i would like to have her on metacam all the time.

But I don`t really want to inject her everyday!!!!! thoughts please.

sorry if this doesn`t make much sense had a few :wink: glasses of wine tonight and the screen looks all weird.

if shes gonna have it long term, given as the oral medication would be best. continuous injections would increase her chances of injction reactions and a build up of scar tissue. if an animal is going to be on any kind of med for longer than 14 days we switch them to the oral alternative.

The only time Metacam MUST be given by injection is if bunny has GI stasis.Oral meds wont go anywhere!! On long term oral Metacam it might be worth asking your Vet about prescribing some Meds to prevent gastric ulceration, something like RANITADINE (ZANTAC) which is available in liquid form.
Janex

I was going to post a new thread about metacam, but may as well ask my question on here.

Because the emergency care centre that the majority of vets deal with out of hours, in my experience is not very good, I have tried to buid up enough knowledge to care for my bunnies out of hours until I can get to my usual vet, in the morning.

My understanding was if bunny in pain and not eating,give a drop of metacam to relieve any discomfort (especially if it is likely to be something simple like a bit of cholic/wind which has upset bunz.
syringe feed with water/critical care/recovery.

Pickle was not well first thing, so I gave her some metacam to see if she would feel better and eat on her own accord, she didn't get any better after 1.5hrs, so I took her to the vets.

The vet today (a locum) said I shouldn't administer metacam on an empty stomach as it could make things worse. Can anyone confirm this?

I would hate to think that I could (or have) made things worse?

The other thing is she has perscribed the gut stimulent in tablet form (to crush and administer with water if she isn't any better tomorrow) does anyone have any thoughts on this?

caferyn said:
I was going to post a new thread about metacam, but may as well ask my question on here.

Because the emergency care centre that the majority of vets deal with out of hours, in my experience is not very good, I have tried to buid up enough knowledge to care for my bunnies out of hours until I can get to my usual vet, in the morning.

My understanding was if bunny in pain and not eating,give a drop of metacam to relieve any discomfort (especially if it is likely to be something simple like a bit of cholic/wind which has upset bunz.
syringe feed with water/critical care/recovery.

Pickle was not well first thing, so I gave her some metacam to see if she would feel better and eat on her own accord, she didn't get any better after 1.5hrs, so I took her to the vets.

The vet today (a locum) said I shouldn't administer metacam on an empty stomach as it could make things worse. Can anyone confirm this?

I would hate to think that I could (or have) made things worse?

The other thing is she has perscribed the gut stimulent in tablet form (to crush and administer with water if she isn't any better tomorrow) does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am sorry your bunny is poorly :(
I am NOT a Vet but I and the Vet I use are less worried about the effects of Metacam on a buns tummy as a Rabbit rarely has an empty stomach, unlike a cat or a dog. Metacam is a NON STEROIDAL ANTI-INFLAMMATRY Drug and these can irritate the lining of the stomach if it is empty or if NSAIDS are given orally long term. So my UNQUALIFIED opinion is that one dose of Metacam wont have harmed your rabbit.
The gut motility meds your Vet gave are probably something called METACLOPROMIDE. This drug speeds up gastric emptying, sort of hurries things along the GI tract.
I assume your Vet gave your Bun an injection of Metaclopromide today?
If you continue to syringe feed bun and give gentle tummy massages. Encouraging her to move about will help too.
Try and tempt her to eat some greens or dandelion leaves, the latter being a natural laxative.
Hope your Bun is soon feeling better. If you are at all concerned or if bun deteriorates I would contact the Vet again.
Janex

Thanks Jane

That would be my response to the metacam as well. I'll keep an eye on her, shes sat quiet with her friend at the moment, yes, it was the metra....I always get a receipt if the vets are going to be closed in case I have to go elsewhere!

I'm going to have to keep an eye on Joey as well, he's been out in the garden but instead of being all happy and binkying he sat quiet in a corner and the last time that happened, I was syringe feeding him for nearly a week.

Thanks for the advice-I shall go and attend my bunnies xx

Back