• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

has your bun ever had dental work?

Has you bun had dental work?

• Grass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carpet! / other floor type?!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
:D I'm trying to run a (non) scientific poll. Travis is still having dental probs and I'm hoping that days on the grass now (fingers crossed) the nice days are here may help.. This lead me to wondering whether there are fewer buns who've had dental work that live on grass?! :shock:

So the answer is if you've got a bun who's ever had dental work, do they live on grass for more than 3 days a week? Or are they indoors, be it house or shed for more than 3 days a week? (as I know not all shed buns have a permenant run.)

Just curious!! :D :wink:

you can always buy dried grass - like redi grass

sassi has been to the vets a few times to have her teeth burred because she doesn't eat much hay or grass.

but that all changed as soon as i started to give her hay and grass only and no pellets - she had to eat it then :lol:

Zippy is on grass but she has dental work :? , though the buns that eat the carpets are fine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mary's had several dentals and has always been an indoor bunny.
However, his is genetic as he had bad malloclussion when I first got him and had to have his incisors out, so obviously his jaw is misaligned and causes the molars to not wear properly.
Since changing to a high fibre/low pellet mix, the time betwen dentals changed from a short 4-6 weeks to an amazing 8-10 months!
I do try to get him out on the grass as often as possible to encourage wear that way too as he's not a huge hay eater, but gets timothy chop and dried grass which he likes. Hoping to build a permanent run when they move out into a bun shed which will hopefully help with his teeth too.

:D Thanks for the input. Travis has redigrass and hay, it was just to see if the "location" of a bun actually has any bearing on dental health. As Travis is a cross breed, it is likely that it is genetic, also I believe he has some "lop" in him, which is where it maybe comes from. I'm hoping that if he's out all day, he'll have nothing better to do than to eat grass and wear his teeth down!!!! :roll:

Hiya! my 2 have never had dental work, touch wood ( pats her self on head! :lol: :lol: ) Gypsy is 2 and an indoor rabbit ( lion head cross) and Storm is a 7 month old french lop, maybe he's too young to be having teeth problems? he also lives in my room! :D

Kahlo has had dental work, and she is an indoor bunny. But, she had it done when she was spayed and had only been living with me for a couple of months. Before that she'd been at the rescue so didn't really have carpet or grass there.......

so far Darcy hasn't needed any dental work (he is nearly 2 years old). He has lots of timothy hay plus chew toys. He has the cardboard castle from cardboardguy which I replace once its totally demolished. Darcy does need a regular manicure and pedicure tho :lol:

Back