• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor flooring

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
For a rabbit with sore hocks
Ive just had the buns out fee running in the garden and claudes hock started bleeding,so ive had to put him back in.
When we move i want some runs outside but what sort of flooring can i use for claudes run?
He cant go on grass,concrete.what about bark chippings are they ok?

poor Claude :( Could you not just put bandage on his feet before he goes out, and remove it after? Put some baby socks over the top maybe?

No he goes mental if you put anything on his feet he keeps banging his foot of the floor trying to get it off which makes it worse :?

Aww, poor dear. I would be worried about bark chippings because I would think those would be harder on his feet :? I'm not 100% sure though.

xxx

Charliesangel said:
Aww, poor dear. I would be worried about bark chippings because I would think those would be harder on his feet :? I'm not 100% sure though.

xxx
Oh i thought they were soft?

I can't imagine chunks of wood being good for his feet - and there's the problem of cleaning it too - someone said on another thread that it got very rank after a few weeks on bark chips - Maybe buy a bale of straw or hay and put the whole thing in so it's about 4" deep? you could chuck it all every week and get fresh - he's liable to get an infection if he's on dirty ground or bark chips I would guess?

How about getting some coroplast (the stuff 'for sale' signs are made off) and making a tray to fit in the run like a cage base for the storage cube cages, then fitting that with whatever bedding he has in his cage?
Or get a sheet of Vetbed, though could work out costly if it's big.
How is he on lino? Maybe lay that down as it is if he's OK on it?

Back