• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do? -Bonding

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
I know I asked this question on a thread 3-4 months ago, but decided it was too soon to worry about the bonding. Well, not that summer is approaching, I NEED HELP :roll: :D

OK, heres whats going on.
At the moment, I have three bunnies (Blaise, Daisy, Oliver) and they are all living on their own. Blaise and Daisy used to be together but when daisy got sick (or he kept her from eating? :? ) I had to separate them.

As summer is approaching, some changes need to be made. Because my grandfather will be here all summer, he uses the bunny room as his room, and Blaise & Daisy will have to move outside to their summer hutch. The problem is, Blaise and Daisy aren't together anymore. I can't have them all separate because then one bun is with out a cage, unless I build a whole new one which isn't in my budget, as they are getting a new run this year.
Oliver is in my room currently and will stay in my room.

Now, here are my options:

Bonding Daisy with oliver- They would both live in my room this summer, while Blaise was in the hutch outside by himself (Blaise would really rather live on his own if it was up to him :roll: :? ). The problem is, Oliver's cage is rather small and I don think they would both fit comfortably. There is no room for a bigger cage. I would have them out all day, but at night they would have to be locked up. What do you think??
Here's oliver's cage:
DSCN4041resize.jpg

Ok, next option. Bonding Blaise & Daisy back together- It took me about 4 months to origionally bond them, and trust me it wasn't easy. When they were finally bonded I didn't see the "love" that a lot of your bonded couples have. Then, when Daisy got sick he rejected her immediatly. Do you think it would be worth bonding them all over again? It will take longer this time, and it will be harder. And I dont know if they will both me happy. Maybe they were happy before, I dont know. Daisy just seems so much better now then she was before and I dont want her unhappy.
If they were bonded they would both live outside in the summer hutch.

Leave them all single- Oliver in my room, Blaise outside in the hutch, Daisy I have no idea where :? I dont have the money for another hutch, and I dont have room in my room. If this was the option though that I had to choose, of course she I would squeeze her in my room, but she would be living in a small cage and that wouldn't make her happy.

Right now, I'm leaning towards bonding Oliver & Daisy. But I'm not sure if that cage will be big enough for them. What if one day I can't let them out? They will both go mad!

As you can see, I need to figure this out fairly soon as summer is on its way, and I should start bonding soon?

And suggestions, comments,????

Thanks a ton, sorry for the rant :roll: :oops:

xxx

How big is Oliver's cage? Hard to tell from a photo - it's a Marchioro tommy isn't it, but which one? If Oliver is easy to pick up, I'd get a dog crate for Daisy and put his cage on top. Otherwise I'd forget about getting a new run, and buy Daisy a hutch for outside - sounds a bit more urgent than a new run?

I've got the tommy 120 and it's not big enough for more than one rabbit in my opinion, especially since you don't even know if they will bond easily.

I know that a new hutch is certainly more urgant then a new run. Of course I understand that :D. I just dont want her to be outside by herself.
Me thinks another bun would solve this whole problem :lol: (its not going to happen though :roll:)

Anyways, Oliver's cage is the Marchioro Small Animal Cage, 39"W X 21"D X 19"H (the larger one) And I know that they both wouldn't fit happily.

The dog crate is not a bad idea, thats a good option!

Maybe I could bond them and pick up a larger cage/crate. The only problem is I would have to find a new space for the cage.

Sorry to make this sound urgant. It really isn't, I just want to get things sorted and start bonding now if necessary. Dont worry, all buns will be happy and healthy this summer :D Just figuring out all the details makes me go CrAzY :lol:

Any more suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

well they'd need a 4' one to share - assuming they like each other - a 4' crate is HUGE :shock: height wise - tall as a breakfast bar because it's made for a big tall dog. You could always get 2 of 30" crates, keep them side by side (or end to end) till bunnies are bonded (might have to put your mattress on top :lol: ) and because dog crates have fold down ends on the shorter side, you can join them by keeping one end of each fastened up with wire or rope or something strong - you would then have a 2'x5' crate? About 2 and a half foot high. Put Olivers old cage on top and get a guinea pig too - live it up! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I only wish I could get a piggie :D Mum says no more though :lol:

Right now Oliver's cage is sitting on top of my dresser in my closet (my closet has no doors so don't worry :lol) and his cage BARELY fits ontop of there! Maybe I should do some room re-arranging...
And of course they wouldn't live together until they are fully bonded. My grandfather wont be coming for about 2 months. Thats why I wanted to start early so if they were going to live together, they would be fully in :love:

Your idea sounds lovely, if I had the room :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another thing though to consider is my dog. He sleeps in my room at night so the buns couldn't be directly on the floor because he would try to eat them!! Thats why oliver is high up :lol:

Sorry to be ranting about my problems here. I know there isn't much you could do, I just have to figure it out myself :lol: But suggestions are still appreciated!!

xxx

xxx

I think if your dog isn't bunny friendly, Daisy would be much happier outside alone than indoors with a scary dog?

I dont know, its actually a bit hard to explain :oops:
Oreo (my dog) will not bother the rabbits at all, but I would just feel more comfortable if they were out of his reach. Oliver loves Oreo to death, and so does Daisy (She always runs up to the front of the cage when she sees him) I just dont trust him 100% around them. You know what I mean?
I guess your right about her going outside. But I just would rather not if I had the option. I get so worried when they are outside, especially with a sensitive bun like Daisy. I'm really not worried about Blaise as he doesn't like people or other buns much anyways. He is happy outside, with the fresh air and being all by himself :D

I guess I'm asking for all of this help but not 100% listening. Because I know in my heart I want them all inside, but that can't happen :roll: I hated them all being outside last summer, and now that Oliver gets to stay inside I feel bad that they can't too.

Sorry to be a pain!!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, I would love more suggestions if anyone or anybun's got 'em!!

Thanks for all of your help Elve- I've been thinking about a few of your ideas!!!

xxx

:D oh well - if Daisy's not scared of Oreo then she'll be happy inside with him I guess? Maybe you should get a bed settee in your lounge and turn your room into a bunny room? Chaos is stimulating! :p

Back