• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really green hay

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Is it good or bad???
I get my hay from work and the rabbits love it,the stuff ive been getting look very much like timothy hay really thick and course,but last night when i got it ive been told that supply has ran out they have some new bales its really soft hay and looks just like grass its soooo green,it also has other bits in it found some flowers in it this morning!

I've got some really green stuff at the mo - and the guinea pigs go mad for it! It's got buttercups and stuff in though, which I pick out - but at least they haven't been using weedkiller on it.

I nkow with horses you can`t feed green hay as it means it`s too freshly cut and hasn`t dried out which can be too rich for horses tummies.
But some of the bales i`ve had for the bunsters have been a bit green and they`ve loved it, with no adverse side affects. And atleast i know it`s nice and fresh. :D

Su.x

cannonwoman said:
I nkow with horses you can`t feed green hay as it means it`s too freshly cut and hasn`t dried out which can be too rich for horses tummies.
But some of the bales i`ve had for the bunsters have been a bit green and they`ve loved it, with no adverse side affects. And atleast i know it`s nice and fresh. :D

Su.x
Well these bales are for horses :? they have a yard here at work

bluebunny said:
cannonwoman said:

Su.x
Well these bales are for horses :? they have a yard here at work

Sorry, just what i was told when i had my horse.

Su.x

as you are in the uk i would assume that the hay is more than 6 months old any way unless the were cutting hay in october. i just had some very nice green coloured hay for my buns, but my bale came from the middle of the stack so the sun/weather hadnt got to it!

Back