• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Redi Grass - Fattening?

ive just read this on someones website

''I give my rabbits small amounts of bread once a week. This must be thoroughly dried or baked, never soft! Its extremely good for the teeth, e.g chewing action helps the back teeth.

Peanuts and Sunflower hearts contain oils which are excellent for coat shine. Again my rabbits have small amounts once a week.

Readi grass is excellent for weight gain, and the rabbits really enjoy it. But beware!..its very fattening! This should not be given more than twice a week.''

Surely redi grass isn't fattening :shock: . i was told by a rescue to put barbie on a diet of redi grass and hay and she has lost weight not gained it and she has redi grass every day

my buns have never had bread - can they eat peanuts and sunflower hearts??

Peanuts and sunflower seeds are high in protein so fattening. Seeds are also not a natural diet for rabbits.

If you want you bun to have a shinny coat, a balenced diet, plenty of exercise and regular grooming should do the trick :D

Tam

i feed readi grass large flower pot filled to top) between two but most of my bunnies are big so not a great deal when you think its for two biggens, have done for ages and it has never made them fat, but them i dont feed loads of pellets (they get 50 Grams of pellets per kilo of rabbit)

my vet said its great for them. just see how they get on with it, if they start to get podgy reduce the amount you give!

I think it's higher in protein than regular hay so you have to be careful if bun has kidney problems or is elderly, but my French lop cross had it daily when she was younger as she wouldn't touch hay. She now has it as the odd treat but not in huge amounts as she lives with Joey, and he had chronic tummy problems when he was a baby, and Readigrass upset his tum then so I'd rather not risk a repeat now by giving too much.

I feed redi-grass daily, my bunsters love it and they`re all healthy weights.
I now feed very little dry food, my bunnies main diet consists of redi-grass, adlib hay and veggies and my buns seem happy with that.
Yes redi-grass can be fattening but as Eve said, if your bunny starts to get a bit porky then reduce the amount of redi-grass a little.

Su.x

I just got this off a bale of Redigrass hope it helps

Protein 13%
Fibre 32%
Oil 2%
Calcium 8g/KG
Phosphorus 4g/Kg
CA:p 2:1

Isn't Timmy hay something like 6-7% protein? I always thought that the higher protein was the issue with readigrass which was why it shouldn't usually be given in unlimited amounts.

I'd agree with what the others have said about the peanuts etc, they are way too high in protein and oil to be good for your bunny. I also wouldn't give bread whether dried or not, and I'm not convinced that it would help their teeth anyway as bread just crumbles on contact, I don't think it would make the molars grind like they do with hay.

How long does a bale of readi-grass last opened?

I currently buy it in 1kg bags but now we have eight Rabbits and several more coming in a few weeks I'm wondering if its going to be more cost effective to buy it by the bale?

Louise

ellepotter said:
How long does a bale of readi-grass last opened?

I currently buy it in 1kg bags but now we have eight Rabbits and several more coming in a few weeks I'm wondering if its going to be more cost effective to buy it by the bale?

Louise

ONE LASTS ME ABOUT THREE WEEKS (20/30 RABBITS AND PIGGIES, I EMPTY IT IN TO A WHEELIE BIN AND ITS STAYS FINE BUT YOU DO NEED TO KEEP IT FROM GETTING WET, OTHERWISE IT GOES OFF REALLY QUICKLY

Mine have dried grass.. is that the same as readi grass?? Now that i have found a hay that my two will eat i only give them dried grass every few days rather than daily now tho... just found nutrient info on bag i use:
protein: 12%
Crude fibre 28%
Oil 2%
Vitamin C 150mg/kg
ME 11.5-12mj/kg

Back