• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VAC NATURAL ALTERNATIVES.

deborah

Alpha Buck
hello again bunny pals.

i have a question and hope i get a few good answeres.

i have noticed quite a few people moving over to the natural alternative method of protection for myxi and vhd. now available from sites on here,

i have always favoured natural remadies since i had very good results for a baby goat which the vet wanted to pts and i tried with great sucess a natural remadie for her condition.

does any one else use the natural alternative.

(it looks like a small whit tablet given monthly to build up imunity and resistance)

Just curious, but were scientific studies done on this? I wouldn't feel safe using it in place of vaccinations otherwise.

I think it is a very worrying trend.

VHD and Myxi are not mild diseases, they are killers. Having a good immune system (which is what most of these claim to boost) doesn't help, there is a nearly 100% death rate even in rabbits in top condition. Without the specific anit-bodies that fight the diseases (which can only be aquired through vaccination or exposure to the disease) the rabbit stands little to no chance of survival.

I agree that some natural remedies can help (when used along side traditional treatment and with the guidence of a vet) e.g. I know some people have experimented with honey for abccesses. BUT this type of natural remedy is different to the homeopathic 'vaccine' which has absolutely no proof of being effective.

I belive one member recently lost a group of eight rabbits to myxi that had been 'vaccinated' with this natural alternative.

If you want to protect your rabbits get them vaccinated. If you want to use natural treatments alongside that, by all means do but don't realy on them to protect your rabbits life.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

I can't get the vaccine in my country and I so want it. Don't take it for granted. If you can get it use it. I'm so scared of my bun dying of that horrible disease that I have looked into the remedies but why use them if you can get the vaccine? it would work out to cost about the same and be alot less work then trying to convince them to eat tablets. I'm no going to do natural remedies because there is no proof behind them. They can't use it and say, look this bun hasn't got any diseases because it might not of gotten them without the remedies anyway. These diseases are alot different from bacterial type diseases that effect goats. Herbs and such can be used with rabbits to help with minor problems but not diseases.

I use the homeopathic myxi/vhd alternative tablets here. While it is true that they are both horrible diseases, a lot of myxi cases I have heard of have been in conventionally vaccinated rabbits. In the 10 or so years I have been keeping rabbits I have personally only seen 2 cases of myxi, both of which came in with it and were sent straight back out again :roll:

I always think that homeopathic/alternative remedies/herbalism/aromatherepy etc are worth trying for more stubborn chronic than acute conditions.

I would not consider using anything other than scientifically proven vaccinations. Although I have an interest in alternative medicines, if I had cancer or an abcess, I would be knocking on my Gp's door for help. Animals are unable to make choices, we make them for them but I fully belive that if they are ill they would choose to get well and that myxi and VHD are too serious, too contagious and induce so much agony that this is something that has to be dealt with in the best way possible and that is with proven vaccinations.

If I had children I wouldn't give them homeopathic vaccinations instead of measles vaccinations etc. I wouldn't take them myself. Therefore it is wrong to do something to others that you wouldn't do yourself. It is without question recomended that rabbits have the myxi and VHD vaccinations, to use alternatives is to all intents and purposes not vaccinating and I am suprised people would make this decision. I will happily read any evidence provided that proves catagorically that homeopathic vaccinations are as effective as conventional ones. But having read on human alternative remedies I have yet to be persuaded that these provide any real protection against illness or any help for acute conditions.

I thought there was a consensus of opinion that the general public neede to be educated that vaccinations are an essential part of a rabbits care, as with dogs and cats. It troubles me that this message will not get across if rescues don't think it important. Rescues are the frontline of education etc. I am bewildered that single rabbits are not allowed, house rabbits are frowned on at some rescues and yet vaccinations aren't encouraged nor believed in. It is hard to keep track.

tomjacob said:
I always think that homeopathic/alternative remedies/herbalism/aromatherepy etc are worth trying for more stubborn chronic than acute conditions.

I would not consider using anything other than scientifically proven vaccinations. Although I have an interest in alternative medicines, if I had cancer or an abcess, I would be knocking on my Gp's door for help. Animals are unable to make choices, we make them for them but I fully belive that if they are ill they would choose to get well and that myxi and VHD are too serious, too contagious and induce so much agony that this is something that has to be dealt with in the best way possible and that is with proven vaccinations.

If I had children I wouldn't give them homeopathic vaccinations instead of measles vaccinations etc. I wouldn't take them myself. Therefore it is wrong to do something to others that you wouldn't do yourself. It is without question recomended that rabbits have the myxi and VHD vaccinations, to use alternatives is to all intents and purposes not vaccinating and I am suprised people would make this decision. I will happily read any evidence provided that proves catagorically that homeopathic vaccinations are as effective as conventional ones. But having read on human alternative remedies I have yet to be persuaded that these provide any real protection against illness or any help for acute conditions.

I thought there was a consensus of opinion that the general public neede to be educated that vaccinations are an essential part of a rabbits care, as with dogs and cats. It troubles me that this message will not get across if rescues don't think it important. Rescues are the frontline of education etc. I am bewildered that single rabbits are not allowed, house rabbits are frowned on at some rescues and yet vaccinations aren't encouraged nor believed in. It is hard to keep track.

I am not saying that vaccines are not important, just because I dont go down the conventional route it doesnt mean I dont care. Just a few doors down from my house at the end of the road is a woodland, no doubt housing wild rabbits, I think the fact that in 10 years I have never had a myxi/vhd outbreak here is enough proof for me. I dont believe in pumping my animals (or myself for that matter) full of drugs if alternatives are available. I have heard of an awful lot of cases recently where vaccinated rabbits have developed myxi so even conventional methods are not 100% guaranteed. The animals here all receive a natural diet and in many cases homeopathic remedies/vaccs and you can see the benefits just by looking at them. The all look extremly healthy and live longer. Last year I was chatting to a lady in Ireland that rescues dogs, she uses homeopathic vaccines on the dogs there and has had great success with it. She nurses a lot of dogs through parvo yet her healthy dogs she already had there (who were on the homeopathic vacc) never developed it.
Just because there is no written proof that something works, it doesnt mean it wont. I doubt very much that the BCVS will do any scientific research into homeopathic alternatives as they believe drugs are the be all and end all of everything :roll:
If someone adopts a rabbit and requests conventional vaccines then I will get it done for them but I prefer to use the homeopathic ones where possible.
There are of course other advantages you should consider. Conventional vaccines should not be given to rabbits that are unwell or have medical problems as their imune system is already compromised, the homeopathic ones can :thumb:

Hi, I am not entirely writing it on, especially not on the 'proof' angle as I appreciate that the evidence isn't gained in the same way, it is more anecdotal evidence. I think for poorly rabbits, old etc, those who have had problems with vaccinations before it is interesting.

My cat Tom has reactions to leukemia vaccination so I'm not doing it anymore, are there vaccinations homeopathically speaking for other animals too?

Have you any info I could read about it? I so want to belive in alternative remedies, I'm a veggie, love animals etc and hate excess medication too but I'm afraid of these illnesses so much that I end up doing the vaccination as I am too afraid of not doing what the vets say so to speak.

I'd love to know more information about the alternatives though, and if there are any for cats too.

I wasn't suggesting you don't care, I know you do, but the voices for conventional vaccinations are so loud I get confused and frightened to not do the conventional route as i always think that hundreds of vets, scientific evidence etc can't be wrong and it's all we've got, if the alternative is really possible and there is still evidence to suggest it works and supporting it I'd be interested to read it please? Thanks. I just want to do my best, it's so confusing sometimes as I get lost as to what 'best' is.

tomjacob said:
Hi, I am not entirely writing it on, especially not on the 'proof' angle as I appreciate that the evidence isn't gained in the same way, it is more anecdotal evidence. I think for poorly rabbits, old etc, those who have had problems with vaccinations before it is interesting.

My cat Tom has reactions to leukemia vaccination so I'm not doing it anymore, are there vaccinations homeopathically speaking for other animals too?

Have you any info I could read about it? I so want to belive in alternative remedies, I'm a veggie, love animals etc and hate excess medication too but I'm afraid of these illnesses so much that I end up doing the vaccination as I am too afraid of not doing what the vets say so to speak.

I'd love to know more information about the alternatives though, and if there are any for cats too.

I wasn't suggesting you don't care, I know you do, but the voices for conventional vaccinations are so loud I get confused and frightened to not do the conventional route as i always think that hundreds of vets, scientific evidence etc can't be wrong and it's all we've got, if the alternative is really possible and there is still evidence to suggest it works and supporting it I'd be interested to read it please? Thanks. I just want to do my best, it's so confusing sometimes as I get lost as to what 'best' is.

No worries :thumb: I get mine from this website http://www.naturalpetcare.co.uk/petshop/product_info.php?cPath=46_47&products_id=354 There are ones available for dogs and cats aswell. If you want more information or reassurance you could email them. They have been helpful with me in the past :D

Although conventional Vaccination is not a 100% guarantee that a bun wont get Myxo it does appear to reduce the risk of what actually kills the rabbit which is secondary bacterial pneumonia. No vaccination is 100% effective but it offers a Bun who contracts Myxo a CHANCE of survival.
Just my views anyway :)
Janex

i agree with jane, vaccination shouldnt be seen as a preventative, it is a boost to help the body kilt he disease if one should contract it. i have seen vaccinated dogs die of parvo, however i have seen lots survive because of vaccines.
tomjacob, does your cat only react to leukaemia vacc? is if he were to recieve a vacc agaist just flu/ent ould he show no effects? has your vet tried other forms? for example 'dead' vaccines? these tend to prevent the adverse effects, my mothers cats are both flu carriers, if they recieve a 'live' vaccine they get flu, if they recieve a 'dead' vaccine they have no symptoms. just something to think about, has your cat had a leukaemia test?

Hi

Tom cat has had affects from his vaccinations for a couple of years though my Mum (who he used to live with) said he did when he lived with here too.

This year I asked for separate vaccinations and gave a month between each so he wasn't overloaded. he was fine after the first but after the Leukemia he was ill agin, in pain and off his food. The usual symptoms. As I went to the vets to buy more Hills AD the vet asked if this meant no more Leukemia? Yes was my answer.

The vet said that as Tom has been vaccinated every year since 1993, he felt that Tom had enough resistance now to be OK without. Lying in my hall, to be fitted next week is a cat proof fencing that will prevent my cats from leaving the garden and others getting in. I am hopeful that this will do as it claims and that Tom will be safer then as no other cats can give him leukemia as he will only have contact with Basil cat who is vaccinated.

I firmly belive in vaccinations, I am from a medical family and so it's part of the deal! Vaccinations save lives pure and simple and though I am interested to read about the alternatives I will continue to vaccinate buns against myxi and VHD and my cats, though not the Leukemia for Tom, as I can't afford not to, I am not going to risk my animals health on something as important as the diseases caused when no vaccination.

I have done alot of reading and cats vaccinations especially leukemia can be a bit iffy, but as long as Basil is well on it I will do it though I do split the vaccinations so as to lessen the overload as a precaution.

ah, i see, it does sound by his reactions that it is specifically the leukaemia vacc he reacts too. i only asked if he was tested because i once saw a leuk positive cat who the owners still insisted on vaccinating against leuk, he was relatively ill after each vaccine too and we could not persuade them to do otherwise.

Back