• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not drinking

D

Damo122

Hi,

I had Scarlett spayed on Monday - She is eating small amounts and is passing small droppings but she doesn't seem to be drinking at all.

I haven't seen her drink anything since she came home and I'm wondering whether i should syringe her?

Would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Damien

Hiya. Is Scarlett having any fresh Veggies. If so she will be getting some fluid from them. If she normally drinks from a sipper bottle you could try putting a bowl of water down for her. I have also just discovered something which my Buns seem to like when they are feeling a bit poorly and that is Herb/Fruit Teas. Their faves are Spearmint and Camomile, Raspberry and Eichanacea and Blackberry and Nettle. You just make it up as normal and of course allow it to cool right down.
You can check Scarletts hydration by gently pulling up her scruff. It should spring straight back down. If it goes down very slowly (tenting) then Scarlett needs to go back to the Vets for sub-cutaneous/IV fluids.
Also, if she has not wee'd you need to contact your Vet for advice.
Hope she is soon fully recovered from her spay.
Janex

Hi Janex,

I just checked her scruff and it seems to spring back so hopefully she's ok. She has done a few small pees over the past 48 hours but I know she's not drinking.

She has a bowl which I normally have to refill every day but It has been remained full.

She has taken some fresh herbs from me and I've been dipping them in water so she has been getting something.

Guess I'll just keep an eye on her and see how things go.

Thanks,

D

Also she may well have had some IV fluids after her spay so would be very well hydrated and consequently not feeling like a drink. Sounds like you're looking after her just great :D
Janex

Back