• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should i take him to the vet or not?! Please Help!

Vicki

Alpha Buck
Well last night when i went out to Harvey, i noticed all of his veg was still there, he had only eaten a bit of corriander. And the majority of his pellets were still there too, which isnt him at all! I checked his bottle and that had hardly gone down at all! I also noticed he had done a bit of runny poo, it wasnt too watery a bit more 'gooey' :oops: !
Now i have unvovered him this morning, he seems fine in himself running around and binkying etc, he has just past a few normal poos but they still seem a bit 'softish' and some are slightly larger than the others, but still in a pea shape! I have took him out some fresh pellets, and he isnt interested in them, i have gave him loads more hay (meadow hay) and he is eating that. But i still havent seen him have a drink yet.
I was expecting to have to race him to the vets today, and find him just laying there, but because he seems normal in himself i now dont know what to do! When i do take him to the vets it does stress him out, so i dont want to do this unless i really have to.
Im soo worried as he isnt eating and drinking normally, but then he is still racing around and seems fine in himself!
Is this something normal for this time of year? Or maybe has something scared him and made his tummy upset?! Can you please post your comments on what you think, as i really want to know whether to take him to the vets or not!
Sorry for this being a long post, thank you for reading it!
Vicki

You could always phone the vet and ask for advice over the phone. I'm not sure what else I'd do. If he's eating hay that's something but I'd definitely talk to the vet at least.
Sending lots of positive vibes!

Hiya.
Well its good news that Harvey is eating hay :D That will help settle his tummy. Also, the fact that he has passed a few near normal poops is a good sign. He clearly has had some sort of tummy problem which from what you describe appears to be resolving. Can you put a bowl of water down for him. He may be more inclined to drink from that. I would keep a close eye on him today and check that he is passing more normal poops. If he does not or if he becomes 'unwell in himself' then I think you need to take him to the Vets this evening. As he seems OK in himself at the moment, is eating hay and has done a few poops my guess is he is on the mend. I agree that stressing him out by taking him to the Vets is not ideal if he is actually getting better. But if he has not done any more poops by late afternoon I really would get him Vet checked. Also, has he wee'd at all? If not this needs to be monitored too. A bun with a bladder infection will often not wee cos it stings to do so. The uncomfortably full bladder causes stress which then upsets their guts.
So I'd say if he remains livelyand has pooped and wee'd by late afternoon he just needs to be carefully observed by you. No poops/wee or if he becomes depressed or stops eating hay then he needs to see the Vet this evening.
Please let us know how he gets on.
Janex

Thanks for your replys, i meant to say i did try giving him a bowl of water last night, and he wouldnt take anything from it! He kept pushing it away with his nose. I think he has wee'd i will go check again in a minute.
The only thing i can think that may have worried him was that my brother has got one of them 'mini motos' and he rode up and down the garden monday night, until i had a go at him! Harveyb did race to his box to hide then, the noise from this bike is really loud, so im starting to think maybe it was this that has upset him?

yes it could have stopped him eating a while - I didn't bother feeding my rabbits this morning because next door had a stone cutter digging up their patio :roll: I knew Victoria wouldn't eat any, and Zinniea (not a nervous type) would eat too much.

Like Jane says, keep an eye on his poops - stasis does come on slowly, but it's not like he's stopped eating - hay is best for him if his tum was upset by the noise. Benny hardly drinks anything - does Harvey normally drink loads?

Also, is he moulting? Maa's been doing some funny looking poops this week but it seems to be OK now - I gave her extra hay and cut out the carrot, which is sugary.

He only seems to moult on his head! Ill brush his back for ages and not get one hair! The top of his head moults though. When i gave him fresh water this morning he had drunk half of his ussual amount. So not too bad at least he had some i suppose! I think my brother is going to be getting another earbashing now! :lol:

Yes he was at the vet a couple of weeks ago and they checked his teeth then and they were fine, ive just bin out with him again, i got him eating his hay and he's still munching on it now! I tried to get him to have a drink and he wouldnt though, but maybe thats because he was too busy eating his hay?!

so long as he's had some drink in the last day, don't worry - Benny and Tia both drink very little, whereas the girls go through loads - sometimes they drink out of habit or boredom, not always through thirst. If he's eating hay he sounds like he'll be fine :)

Thanks! Ive been so worried and i hardly slept! :oops: :lol: He does seem better today compared to last night.
Thanks for all your help
Vicki

Back