• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wanted Female Rabbit!

sarahlove

New Kit
Hiya, i recently lost my baby rabbit to snuffles, i had brought him up from a baby which was quiet upsetting for me when he died, i am now looking for another rabibit, preferably a female one, which is aged 6months to 2 years old, i live in daventry in northamptonshire, so if theres anyone out there that needs to rehome a rabbit please please let me know, thanx
sarah

Have you looked in the Rehoming section and on http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ ?
If you find a rescue near you on the forum or rabbit rehome but they don't have the right bun, it's worth ringing to chat to them as they often have more buns than they show on the internet.

I HAVE TRIED THE RABIT RE HOMING WEBSITE, BUT I DIDNT SEE SOMEONE WHO CAUGHT MY EYE (BUNNY). MAYBE I AM JUST THINKING TO MUCH OF WILTON MY BUNNY WHO DIED, AND BASING MY SEARCHES ON HIM, WHICH I SHOULD I MIGHT HAVE ANOTHER LOOK, THERE IS FEW CUTIES ON THERE! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!
:)

i would like another female as i would like to slowly introduduce her to my other female called smokey, so they can live in one double tier hutch. my other rabbit is a male but can be very aggressive, so i though it might be best for him to live on his own as i dont want fighting, why? do you know some where i might be able to get a rabbit from. thanx

sarahlove said:
i would like another female as i would like to slowly introduduce her to my other female called smokey, so they can live in one double tier hutch. my other rabbit is a male but can be very aggressive, so i though it might be best for him to live on his own as i dont want fighting, why? do you know some where i might be able to get a rabbit from. thanx

Its easier to introduce a neutered male to a female rather than another female. Neutered male/female pairings work best. Cant you get your male rabbit neutered and pair them up together?

you have posted this on all the sections on here :shock: :D Also have been told of several rescues with buns near you so perhaps you are looking for a "free to a good home" rabbit?!

i have emailed a few of these sites and await replies and one has told me they only let them go in pairs, which i am unable to house, i though i was doing a good thing by taking one from a rescue, i wouldnt care if the was free or i had to pay 100 pounds for it.

sarahlove said:
I HAVE TRIED THE RABIT RE HOMING WEBSITE, BUT I DIDNT SEE SOMEONE WHO CAUGHT MY EYE (BUNNY). MAYBE I AM JUST THINKING TO MUCH OF WILTON MY BUNNY WHO DIED, AND BASING MY SEARCHES ON HIM, WHICH I SHOULD I MIGHT HAVE ANOTHER LOOK, THERE IS FEW CUTIES ON THERE! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!
:)

If you cannot see what you are looking for, you may be better off going and looking at a rescue near you to see what is available. Photos do not show the nature of a rabbit and this is what should be important to you.

If you are looking for a free rabbit to pair with your female, you need to consider that if they may not get on with your rabbit if you are inexperienced at pairing them yourself, you would also need to have suitable spare accomodation for them if it did not work out. Two unneutered females often do not get on. From experience I would say that a neutered rabbit is far easier to pair up than an unneutered one.

If you get a rabbit from a rescue you usually will find that they will already be neutered and many are also vaccinated, many will also offer you the assistance of pairing up help and follow up after care if you require this. Rescues will ask for a donation to help towards the cost of neutering and vaccination, this is usually less than what it actually does cost. Neutering and vaccination are things which are essential for long term health of your rabbits.

sarahlove said:
i have emailed a few of these sites and await replies and one has told me they only let them go in pairs, which i am unable to house.

You are correct that the majority of rescues do only rehome rabbits as pairs, however this does not mean that people cannot adopt a single rabbit. The majority of the rabbits ARC rehomes are to make up a pair of rabbits with someones pre-existing rabbit which has lost its partner. I am pairing up someones rabbit today with Tamsin who hopefully will be ready to go to their new home late tomorrow evening.

sarahlove said:
i have emailed a few of these sites and await replies and one has told me they only let them go in pairs, which i am unable to house, i though i was doing a good thing by taking one from a rescue, i wouldnt care if the was free or i had to pay 100 pounds for it.

Most rescues will rehome bunnies on their own if they are to be paired up with another one. They will usually be neutered/vacc'd and be able to help you with the bonding process.

sarahlove said:

If you don't mind paying £100 and you are looking for a particular type of rabbit then maybe it would be easier for you to find one from a breeder. It would be more expensive than from a rescue as you'll have to get it neutered and vaccinated yourself, but at least you will get exactly what you want.

Having said that, what they're like when they're little is not necessarily what they're like when they're older - at least by getting one from a rescue it is likely to have matured and you will be able to suss out its character and introduce it to your other bun straight away to see if they are going to get on.

^No offence, but if someone is looking for a particular type, then out of the 30,000 rabbits in this country that need rehoming, I'm sure there will be some rabbit somewhere that is what they're looking for. And if they're willing to spend £100, then spending time looking should be no trouble.

i have not looked at all 30,000 . there aint 30,000 rescues near me any way, i am going over to one in northampton on saturday to have a look. i will proberly just be better of going to a pet shop, it is alot of hassel trying to help a rabbit from a rescue, when my baby bun died, i thought i would do some good and take a recued one in, but didnt realise all the paper work involved! so maybe i will find it easier just going to a pet store and chossing one, thank you for all your help though.

sarahlove said:
i will proberly just be better of going to a pet shop, it is alot of hassel trying to help a rabbit from a rescue, when my baby bun died, i thought i would do some good and take a recued one in, but didnt realise all the paper work involved! so maybe i will find it easier just going to a pet store and chossing one, thank you for all your help though.

It maybe easier to go and get a pet shop bun but:
1) You won`t know anything of it`s history and possible health problems.
2) Pet shops are not experienced at correctly sexing buns.
3)What if your new `pet shop bun` doesn`t get on with your present buns?
4) One from a rescue will more than likely be vaccinated, health checked and neutered, an unneutered bun is a lot more likely to start fighting with the others once the hormones kick in.
5) Most rescues will help you bond you bun which can be a nightmare in itself!

Surely, if you really want to help a bun isn`t a little bit of paperwork worth it?

Don`t mean this to be rude, just wanted you to consider these things before making your final decision.
Su.x

Please go to a rescue.. dont support the petshop animal trade :wink: Rescues have some gorgeous adult rabbits which often means they are spayed/neutered already, the people are very knowledgeable about rabbit care, you can often take your rabbit with you and let him choose his own girlfriend.. Honestly there isnt that much paperwork to adopt a rabbit from a rescue. :D

Back