• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ivomec

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
hi there,

just been doing a search on here about mites and found out about this treatment called ivomec (if i'm spelling it correctly)

just wondered how this is given to the bunny, i.e. by cream/shampoo/injection etc

if it isn't injection based, is there a mite treatment that can be done via injection? tobey is very hard to handle and i fear i wouldn't be able to treat him properly myself at home...

i had a very close look at his mane fur around his neck, and noticed very very minute white specs, and then i saw one that was slightly bigger and moving :shock: so i guess his scratching is due to this, some kind of mite.

he is booked in at the vet tomorrow morning....

he has free run of the lounge which means the whole lounge could potentially have these mites lurking.. anyone got any advice as to how best to clean the area to prevent them coming back?

thanks again

Hiya! Yes it is done by injection so no need to worry, I think it's a course of 3 10 days apart or something like that anyway. Can't really help on how to sort out the lounge though, I'd take a guess that a flea spray would work assuming it's ok to allow Tobey back onto it afterwards. Good luck xx

You can't see mites (apart from one type - tropical mites or something).
From the sounds of it they could be lice, these are usually white/grey or brown and can be seen on a close inspection.
Treatment for both is Ivermectin though.
You can now buy Ivermectin from petshops, but I still prefer going to the vet to make sure the dose is accurate, as Ivermectin can have some nasty side effects on the nervous system if overdosed.
It's a 3 week course, and can be injected, given orally or as a 'spot on' like dog flea treatments. Each treatment is given every 7-10 days for the 3 treatments, and by then the mites or lice should be gone.

Karly said:
You can't see mites (apart from one type - tropical mites or something).
From the sounds of it they could be lice, these are usually white/grey or brown and can be seen on a close inspection.
Treatment for both is Ivermectin though.
You can now buy Ivermectin from petshops, but I still prefer going to the vet to make sure the dose is accurate, as Ivermectin can have some nasty side effects on the nervous system if overdosed.
It's a 3 week course, and can be injected, given orally or as a 'spot on' like dog flea treatments. Each treatment is given every 7-10 days for the 3 treatments, and by then the mites or lice should be gone.

i see.. yeah what i saw was something very very small, and very round, and it was a sort of white/beige colour. and on the hair on his mane was like a dust, i can't call it dandruff because it isn't that big, but its only around his mane area, not his body, and there's no signs of anything in his ears.

thanks for that i'll make sure the vet has a good look too..

just as a quick p.s.... would anyone say it would help matters if i cut back his mane around the neck area where this "dust" seems to be?

this mose definately sounds like a mite called chyleatella (i think thats how its spelt?!), or its common name is 'walking dandruff' because it looks like.....well walking dandruff :lol: a trip to the vets should confirm this and he can be treated with ivomectin injections, if its mostly in his mane, cutting it wont do anyharm but he'll still need to be treated anyway, so its up to you if you want to chop of his locks!

bizzy_vicki said:
this mose definately sounds like a mite called chyleatella (i think thats how its spelt?!), or its common name is 'walking dandruff' because it looks like.....well walking dandruff :lol: a trip to the vets should confirm this and he can be treated with ivomectin injections, if its mostly in his mane, cutting it wont do anyharm but he'll still need to be treated anyway, so its up to you if you want to chop of his locks!

i don't want him to lose his locks really.. but if it will help him then i will, its just that i noticed a lot of this dust was on the long bits around the back of his neck, and i thought maybe if they are the eggs then cutting them off would sort of reduce the likelihood of more coming..

how likely is it that this will recurr? he's had such a miserable life so far :cry:

If you make sure he has his 3 week course, I don't think you need to do any preventitive actions really. I'd give the floor a good hoover and it may be worth using some flea spray or something around it, but the point of the course is that as the eggs hatch and grow, they get killed off by the next application. If any do manage to survive the second lot (e.g. were living on the floor/furnishings) they'll be killed off by the third lot and that should do the trick.

Hi

My bunny has Cheywotsit mites at the min. The vet said these usually only affect the bun they are on & don't often spread to other buns/people unless they are run down (Thank God, I have 11 buns!). Alex was neutered, so the vet thinks the stress of this/moving home (I got him off free ads) may have caused a flare up. The vet gave me mite shampoo & stonghold to treat him with, but I just spoke to him (see my post "mites JANE!!") & I'm off to pick up some Ivometic stuff this aft.

Alex is affected quite badly at the base of his neck, & on his sides. He's white, so it's hard to see owt really, though there is dandruff. Jane advised me to brush him with a soft brush too, which I'm doing morning & night.

if he has the full course of injections, he shouldnt necessarily suffer again, i once had a rabbit with it who only suffered once. sometimes bouts of stress can cause an outbreak for some reason, but i dont think its hat common.
good luck with that, and if he was mine i wouldnt want to chop his locks off either, he's gorgeous!

hi there,

thanks for all the advice and replies!

i didn't chop his lovely locks off in the end, i decided to wait it out and figured the eggs will go with treatment anyway!

been to the vet this morning and he has fur mites, she gave him 20 drops according to his weight between his shoulder blades, and i go back in another 2 weeks for some more drops and to check how many are left if any...

the drops have a name i've not heard mentioned on here, they look as though they could be bought from a pet shop, something beginning with X which i've forgotten at the moment!

i wouldn't be surprised if all the stress of his teeth and having them out may have caused it, as i remember this taking its toll on him a lot and it was just after that that i noticed he stopped being his lively little self.

we've cleaned his room and so hopefully he'll be on his way up from now on!!

good luck with your bun bun too Angie!

You should be able to get an environemental flea spray from the vets which you can spray around your lounge area (or wherever he lives) after hoovering etc. You might be able to get it in the pet shop too.

Mites are a nuisance, Oli had ear mites and dormant former vet would not treat them with Ivomec, but kept sending me away with stupid ear drops which just upset Oli and made him scratch until his little ears bled.

Thankfully I then moved house, got a new vet, and got him treated pronto with a course of 4 injections of Ivomec (and Sylvia too), just to be on the safe side. b-m

Hiya sounds like your vet used Xenex (usually used to prevent fleas & lice & some types of mites) which is ok but not that strong & you may find the vet will have to use Ivomec at the next visit..Thats a sure fire solution to all mites :D

leanne said:
Hiya sounds like your vet used Xenex (usually used to prevent fleas & lice & some types of mites) which is ok but not that strong & you may find the vet will have to use Ivomec at the next visit..Thats a sure fire solution to all mites :D

yes that's the name of it! i see... if she doesn't mention ivomec at the next visit i will ask about it...

Back