• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dry food and other questions

Kay

Mama Doe
Hi all, is there a particular dry food that is better for bunnies than others? I am so glad that I have taken time to research before I get a bun, the bunny world has changed soooo much!

I used to fed my lovely bunnies on a mixture called 'moist rabbit' which was a very slightly sticky mix with vitamins, minerals and conditioners, can't see it about in the shops though.

Also does anyone use Russell Rabbit bedding? I used to love the smell and the fact it was bunny safe yet had antibacterial treatment, was so soft too.

Have decided to make one corner of the garden into a herb patch so my buns could have a little munch. Is this a good or bad idea? Would they only eat a little at a time or be like me with chocolate and scoff the lot? lol

Also I used to buy the baby brush and comb sets for grooming - is there a soft enough brush out on the market yet?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions!

Kay xx

A lot of people on here use Science Selective, others Burgess Supa Excel and Allen & Page. Its best to go with one that's pelleted to prevent selective feeding. You need it to have a high fibre content, and they don't need too much because the main part of their diet should be hay.

I don't know about the bedding as my bun is a house bun, but when I did have an outside bun I used it for a while. It seemed to be quite good.

With respect to the herb question - I think buns and herbs have a tendency to be a bit like us and chocolate..... they will keep going! Well, I know that my Kahlo would anyway!

Most people either use supa rabbit excel food or science selective food. Both are good for bunnies so it depends on what your bunny prefers. I don't use russel rabit bedding so I don't know about that but maybe somebody else can help you with that. Rabbits can eat some herbs so be careful which herbs you plant but I think your buns would enjoy having a nibble on them. :D

Cool thank you :wink:

Not wanting to lead them into too much tempation I have decided on a herb patch solution. I will plant up a terracotta trough with Herbs then I can transport the herbs to the front garden which will a) not let the bunnies eat too much as they will be in the back garden and b) give the herbs a chance to grow back after a munching. Cool sounds like a plan!

It is a shame that there are so many bad food mixes out there. Some I have seen are little more than dust with a few pellets! :(

Hi Kay, I use Science Selective for all mine, having been through various different types which were too rich for them. I also found Excel Lite to be good.

I agree I think they might wipe out your carefully planted herb patch in seconds! You should see our garden at the moment... really they are so naughty with new shoots. Anything tasty and they'll have it. b-m

I use chudleys rabbit royale, it is kind of moist and i mix in a little excel.you can get a pet shop to order food for you if they dont stock it.

Hi, I've used a few different foods, and found Allen and Page pellets to be the best for my buns. They get a handful each a day.
My bunnies have permanent runs that they have access to all the time. I use litter trays in the hutches with megazorb in the bottom then a layer of straw and hay. Salt and Pepper seem to like snuggling in this, but Bobby and Ruby prefer the top of their hutch :roll:
Good idea about the herbs.

This article may help: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/rabbitfood.asp

The choices are generally:

Supreme Science
Oxbow Bunny Basics
Burgess Excel Lite
Allen & Page Natural Rabbit Pellets

Basically, go for high fibre, low protein and pellets rather than mix :) You'll need to bare in mind whats available in your area as some are easier to get hold of than others :)

Tam

Hello! :)

From what I've gathered in the month I've had my cutie, here's information on the amounts of things that should be in the pellet food she eats.

I found this article that gives good advice:

http://www.lagomorphs.com/pellets.pdf

Apparently, buns need the following in their pellet food:

Fiber: at least 16%
Protein: not more than 16%
Fat: no more than 2-3%
Calcium: no more than 1%

Another important thing to keep in mind, is if their food changes, it needs to be very gradually, or they'll get the runs.

I was told by Naturestee (a member here whose advice I really trust) that I should feed Maisie pellet food that has 16% protein, but only because she's a growing bun (three months old). When she's nearing a year old, I'll start changing over to 14-15%. She had started having a problem with the extra cecals about a couple weeks after she came home with us, and found that it was because she was eating a food that had 17% protein. Once I gradually switched her to a food with 16%, she was just fine.

Anyway, hope that helps to answer your question about the dry food. :)

Aww you lot are awesome! :wink:

Thank you. I seem fairly lucky where I live that there are alot of feed places around. I have been reading all about P.A.H so I will be avoiding them as I am lucky enough to have the option.

We have a great place in Wheathampstead called 'Titmuss' it has loads of different foods and mix so I shall look out for the ones you all suggested.

cheers :D

That's a very good point about the different ages Rosie. Youngsters do need slightly higher protein than adults as they're growing still :)

Tamsin said:
That's a very good point about the different ages Rosie. Youngsters do need slightly higher protein than adults as they're growing still :)

Thank you...it was actually Naturestee who told me...so hats off to her! :) But thank you!! :)

on the food thing ... I use excel - for junior and dwarf , but thats because she was brought up on it... the petshop recommended it... and I didnt want to change her if she was happy on it, and also the vets recommend it. And I am gladd to see other people on here use it to - puts my mind at ease :)
As for the brush thing.... I bought a bunny brush, and its exactly the same as a baby brush... Just more expensive! lol

I use Science Selective for my 2 that I've only just taken on. They were eating a poor quality mix (Tescos version of Russel Rabbit, I think), but absolutely love Science Selective.

I know what you mean about brushes - sometimes they just seem too rough. I've managed to get hold of a rabbit brush that's really soft, but you might as well go with your baby brush - exactly the same and about a quarter of the price probably! :lol:

My two are now on Allen and Page as it has higher fibre than most which is important for my two fuzzies.

Back