• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argos storage cubes

You probably want to use cable ties rather than the supplied interlock which look very chewable. Americans call cages built out of them NIC Condos. NIC is Neat Idea Cubes made by Fellowes. Fellowes do not sell them in the UK and they seem to be quite hard to get hold of. There are various sites on the web giving guidance. I would be interested to know if you give it a go. As long as the plastic bits are OK, you can always take things back to Argos. Unfortunatly Costco dont sell them any more and they were cheap.

Adam

I decided when i got mine to attempt it with the connectors- didn't work, the roof was too unstable and kept falling in if anything softly hit the side of the cage. Cable ties are the way to go. SO when u r buying them only consentrate on the number of panels.

To improve stability you can use a wooden frame made from dowelling or 1 x 2 which you attach to the corners with the cable ties. Get untreated timber as Bun will chew. Easy to replace if they do.

Adam

This is my cage I made out of cubes, I didnt get them from Argos but they will be the same thing. I used the connectors and lots of cable ties.

cavy1.jpg

cage3.jpg

I have 2 guinea pigs indoors, and got my cubes from Robert May (it's all the same thing, I'm sure). Mine isn't particularly stable, but doesn't really need to be - I don't need a roof for the piggies, and they are only on one level.

I use both the connectors and zip ties. You need like ten zillion zip ties to make it stable without the connectors. I haven't had problems with them chewing the connectors either because their toys are more interesting.

The brand doesn't matter, although the connectors are different from brand to brand. I actually mixed two brands when I made my pens, as I had some from Shopko and some was selling a whole bunch of theirs that they got from Target.

Looks good. Did you use that sign stuff for the trays (forgets name)?

A.

sgprescue said:
This is my cage I made out of cubes, I didnt get them from Argos but they will be the same thing. I used the connectors and lots of cable ties.

cavy1.jpg

cage3.jpg

i bought the argos cubes. I didn't use the connectors...they werent very stable or secure plus they would leave a gap between the panels. Cable ties are def the way to go. Sam loves her new house...will post pics when i get them on my comp

-Gillian

It would be much easier, and safer, to make it with cable ties instead of the connectors that come with. They're really cheap, too!

This way, you can bend them with each other at any angle you want, too.

My tip for cutting the excess plastic in each tie...use a finger or toenail clipper. I was using a box-cutter, and BOY my hand hurt afterward!! It wasn't until I was almost done that I realized I could have EASILY been using the nail cutters the whole time!! They're the perfect size to cut them, too! With MUCH less effort. :D

Anyway, hope that helps!! Let us know how it goes! :D

LonBun said:
To improve stability you can use a wooden frame made from dowelling or 1 x 2 which you attach to the corners with the cable ties. Get untreated timber as Bun will chew. Easy to replace if they do.

Adam

YES...definitley. I used wooden dowels to strengthen the upper level of Maisie's cage. Forgot to mention that! :)

Back